Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Support Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 14, 2021
This position has many diverse functions, which include educating patients on one (1) of two (2) dining services programs (Room Service and Traditional Paper Menu Service). For units on room service, the CNAI gives the patient the Room Service packet specific to their physician prescribed diet order and assists patients with meal selections and placing orders as needed. For units on traditional menu service, the CNAI distributes and collects paper menus on assigned units only, all while complying with patient confidentiality standards. Completes approved number of required customer service and/or diet knowledge inservices. Always uses the ICARE values and Service Pride standards. Communicates with peers and management regarding identified hazards in the work place. Follows all safety/sanitation rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Follows all departmental policies and procedures and must comply with the City of Houston Food Ordinance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Possesses, displays and maintains a "patient centered" and service minded" attitude toward patients.
- Handles patient concerns in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Interacts with patients, provides a smile and a friendly greeting and uses their name whenever possible.
- Interacts with family members and nursing on a daily basis
- Communicates clearly and concisely verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates skill and ability to communicate pertinent information (difficulty eating, poor appetite, nourishment concerns, formula usage, requests to see the Dietitian) to ensure properly handling and processing of information.
- Accurately logs and tracks customer concerns on the Room Service Round sheet
- Demonstrates good judgment in decision-making.
- Promotes, develops and sustains teamwork, resolves personnel and organizational conflicts seeking consensus and feedback, negotiating, and communicating.
- Demonstrates skills and ability to assist customers (e.g., patients, nursing, family members, physicians, intradepartmental staff) in obtaining services and respond in a timely manner to customers requesting assistance.
- Responds to pages in 15 minutes or less.
- Assists and accommodates patients with information regarding their diets, meal ordering directions and problems.
- Distributes fruit baskets and birthday cakes to patients when ordered
- Greets and educates patients on the room service program as well as distributes the appropriate room service menu packet specific to their physician prescribed diet order when it is available.
- Assists the patient as needed in placing their order using computerized departmental software or answering any questions about their menu selections.
- Returns paper menus to the office for entry into the departmental software system.
- Checks and updates menu packets prior to each meal service time, ensuring that they are appropriately modified to meet the physician prescribed diet order.
- Checks the tray for accuracy and presentation prior to delivering to the patient. Secures any missing items or additional items requested by the patient at the time of delivery.
- Confirms diet orders listed as "no orders" on the patient meal work sheets, including orders, which do not conform to standard diet orders.
- Identifies the patient by name and date of birth prior to meal delivery.
- Reviews Insulin Reports for patients on diabetic medications that require medication reminders prior to meal delivery
- Follow proper hand hygiene techniques while entering and leaving patient rooms.
- Collects soiled trays from patient rooms, returns to food carts and records calorie count information on the tray tickets.
- Ensures that patients are satisfied with all levels of service including "wishing them well" when they leave.
- Distributes nourishment to patients at the assigned times
- Accurately and efficiently plans, organizes and controls assigned tasks and responsibilities, leading to high productivity, quality, responsiveness and patient satisfaction
- Provides accurate documentation of work performed.
- Follow all safety requirements while operating and handling food carts and kitchen equipment.
- Inventories and keeps condiments at pre-established amounts to reduce waste and stay within budgeting funds.
- Maintains stock of patient menus on assigned floors.
- Completes approved number of required customer service and diet classes
- Demonstrates skills and ability to handle situations in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Demonstrates good judgment in professional decision-making.
- Demonstrates skills and ability to obtain as well as analyze pertinent information in order to make informed decisions.
- Demonstrates the skills and ability to take appropriate follow up action to ensure that the workload is processed and identified discrepancies are resolved within established time frames
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Hotel, hospitality experience preferred but not required. Preferred minimum 1 year experience in a large hospital Food and Nutrition services department
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Must possess good communication skills and be able to work in a fast paced environment. Must be able to work independently with limited supervision and requires the ability to listen well. Must enjoy serving customers in a positive friendly and courteous manner.
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.