Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
18220 State Highway 249
Houston, TX 77070
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Imaging Services
- Job Shift:
- EVENING 2nd - Evening
- Job Type:
- Work Week:
- Full Time - works Monday - Friday from 2:30 p.m. -11:00 p.m.
- Posted Date:
- July 12, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the CT Technologist I position is responsible for a variety of routine diagnostic computed tomography (CT) procedures to include common and special CT exams of moderate complexity with progression towards exams of higher complexity. This position provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic and special CT procedures. The CT Technologist I position delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by governing agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. This position is a member of the direct patient care team.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards department goals for retention and employee engagement. (EF)
- Communicates effectively with others to facilitate providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs diagnostic radiology procedures to include common and special CT exams. CT exams use x-ray images and computer processing to generate pictures of tissue densities through the patient's body. (EF)
- Proactively assesses, identifies and responds to the needs of the patient for adjustment or intervention to optimize patient care, image quality and patient experience. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications and limitations associated with certain procedures. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique. (EF)
- Provides accurate explanations and instructions to patients and family members at an appropriate level utilizing verbal and non-verbal skills, terminology and language. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Uses ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) to protect patients, staff and general public, and follows radiation safety standards. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with radiation safety and infection control procedures. Complies with job role, department and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into appropriate hospital patient safety reporting system to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
- Performs daily imaging equipment quality control (QC) ensuring all imaging equipment is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to observe and proactively address patient reactions (i.e. contrast media and medications) or potential outcomes and obtains assistance, as appropriate. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in department projects or shared governance activities. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC) or Temporary Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-TMPGC) thru the Texas Medical Board
- American Heart Association BLS and
- If less than 1 year CT experience:
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R)) or Radiation Therapy (ARRT (T)) or Nuclear Medicine (ARRT (N)) or Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification (CNMT)) and
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in CT (ARRT (CT)) within 6 months
- If 1 or more years CT experience:
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R)) or Radiation Therapy (ARRT (T)) or Nuclear Medicine (ARRT (N)) or Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification (CNMT) and
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in CT (ARRT (CT)) by the end of the month following 12 months of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
|Other (dept approved)||Yes|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||Yes|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since 2000, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been serving Northwest Houston residents. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is a comprehensive acute care facility and has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. With 358 operating beds, 20 operating rooms and more than 2,300 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for patients in Champions, Tomball, Magnolia, Spring and Cypress.