Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Support Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 24, 2021
The Cook is responsible for both hot and cold food production including seasoning, preparing, and cooking of meats, fish, fowl, vegetables, soup and sauces. Also includes the responsibilities of measuring and following recipes as well as garnishing and packaging. All food items are expected to be produced in a high quality manner in a high volume area. High level of customer satisfaction is expected. Methodist Policies and Procedures will be followed. Follows the appropriate ICARE and Service Pride standards that have been set forth by the Methodist Hospital. Performs other duties as assigned. Must adhere with the Food and Nutrition Services Standards of Appearance and comply with City of Houston Food Ordinances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors and records the temperatures of food and refrigeration.
- Maintains the area so it complies with all regulatory agencies, including City of Houston Health Department, Fire Department, and JCAHO. (EF)
- Prepares all hot and cold food items according to CBORD recipes, quantities
- Ordered and proper plate garnishing. Responsible for maintaining portion control by fully utilizing the CBORD system recipes. (EF)
- Reviews menus the day before to ensure supplies are in house. Utilizes time to do pre-preparation of food items to ensure menus are ready at the specified time. (EF)
- Labels and dates all food items for storage. Ensures proper the rotation of food
- Items. Minimizes food waste through proper usage. Ensures all food beyond the
expiration date is discarded. (EF)
- Maintains clean orderly storage areas with all food items visible in clear covered storage containers. (EF)
- Works in conjunction with the Cooks Helper and staff ensuring the food
- Prepared is on time, high quality, and transferred efficiently. (EF)
- Assists the Manager/Chef with new food items from the creation to making it a menu item. (EF)
High School diploma or GED equivalent desired
2 years food service experience required, heavy volume experience desired.
Knowledge of food service equipment and sanitation principles
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of buffet receptions, upscale plated menu items, volume batch cooking.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Ability to read, write, and speak basis English is desired
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.