Cook - PRN - Day
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Support Services
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 11, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Cook position is responsible for ensuring a high volume/high quality food service setup/assembly for the customer (patients, staff and visitors) that is presented and served within the set standards. This position is responsible for both hot and cold food production including seasoning, preparing, and cooking of various meats, vegetables, soups and sauces and on measuring and following recipes as well as garnishing and packaging. This position communicates with peers and management regarding and hazards identified in the work place and performs all duties and responsibilities projecting the Houston Methodist service image and support of the mission statement. The Cook position adheres with the HM Food and Nutrition Services Standards of Appearance and complies with relevant local Food Ordinances and federal and state regulatory agencies, reviewing and maintaining production records and cooling charts according to Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines. This position may be asked to assist in other food and nutition service areas, as needed.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients, family and staff. Communicates clearly and professionally to promote both work efforts and problem resolution. (EF)
- Works, in conjunction with the Sr Cook and Catering staff, ensuring the food is prepared is on time, is of high quality, and transferred efficiently. (EF)
- Notifies management appropriately with changes to menu items due to unforeseen events, i.e. spoilage, shortage, etc. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Prepares food according to standardized recipes, menu, safe food handling and time schedule. Accurately completes cold and hot food preparation, as assigned. (EF)
- Tastes food for palatability prior to each meal service to ensure highest quality. (EF)
- Reviews menus in advance to ensure supplies are in-house. Utilizes down time for preparation of food items to ensure menus are ready at the specified time. Prepares food for the next day per retail or room service cycle menus. Prepares for scheduled catering events one day prior to event. (EF)
- Portions food according to diet and recipe. Garnishes food as instructed by Sr Cook and/or management. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Inspects all foods for quality, freshness and appearance. Ensures all food beyond the expiration date is discarded. Labels and dates all food items for storage. Ensures the proper rotation of food items. (EF)
- Reports and corrects improper food, cooler and warmer temperatures. Assists Sr Cook in monitoring and recording temperatures of food and refrigeration (EF)
- Uses and follows all safety techniques in handling of equipment. Maintains proper sanitation in work area and equipment to comply with all federal and state regulatory agencies, including local Health Department, Fire Department, DNV, etc., cleaning immediate work area concurrently and cleaning large equipment per posted cleaning schedule. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Practices good cost control through the proper use and storage of food, supplies and equipment. Minimizes food waste through proper usage. (EF)
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, assisting coworkers as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Assists the Sr Cook or other responsible role with new food items from the creation to making it a menu item. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
o One year food service/cooking experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Accredited food handler training course approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TXDSHS) or by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Working knowledge of Serve Safe guidelines and Health department standards
o Knowledge of /kitchen food service equipment and sanitation principles
o Basic understanding of buffet receptions, upscale plated menu items, volume batch cooking
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Transports food carts for meal service through corridors and elevators to food prep area. Operates potentially hazardous equipment such as mixers, ovens, steamers, meat slicer, fryers, char broilers and cleaning chemicals.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is currently seeking a full-time Structural Cardiologist to join our well established, thriving and dynamic team. Houston Methodist The Woodlands campus is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of a growing community. The successful candidate must be committed to providing unparalleled patient care with expertise …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Director Community Benefits position is responsible for supporting hospital system maintenance of nonprofit status within federal and state regulations of charity care laws and designing and managing programs designed to enhance the institution’s reputation as a socially responsible corporate citizen within the health care industry. …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services (EVS) Representative position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. This position performs a variety of general cleaning tasks in assigned areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff in accordance with department standards.