Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 6, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Copywriter is responsible for producing clear, concise and engaging content for assigned marketing initiatives- including the main website, print media, email campaigns, blog posts, social media and print/digital ads. The Copywriter translates health care information into understandable, everyday, engaging language with a focus on compelling stories about the individuals who deliver and receive care each day. The Copywriter creates writing that is enriching, useful and meaningful to the intended audience. The Copywriter delivers sharp headlines and strong copy.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Works closely with subject matter experts to develop strong, clear and concise writing that appeals to the intended audience and champions the Houston Methodist brand. (EF)
- Collaborates with designers to develop effective content across print or digital channels and formats. (EF)
SERVICE - 35 %
- Develops concepts and content for a wide variety of projects, including but not limited to print media, social media, email, display advertising, webpage copy, white papers, case studies and video scripts. (EF)
- Collaborates with wider marketing team and stakeholders throughout the organization to conceptualize, develop and/or revise content that meets expressed strategic goals
- Understands consumer personas and develops content aligned to each stage of the patient/caregiver journey.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25 %
- Ensures writing is consistent in quality, tone, and style. (EF)
- Meets writing and content development deadlines to ensure quick turnarounds in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Acts as a brand steward, ensuring all messaging and copy is within brand voice and editorial guidelines. (EF)
FINANCE - 5 %
- Updates existing content to improve value to the consumer.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15 %
- Continuously applies learnings and best practices to improve efficiency of content development and deployment process. (EF)
- Keeps up with best practices in print/digital user experience and content marketing, sharing relevant ideas with the team and implementing where appropriate.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, English, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years in a professional copywriting role.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Ability to work closely with graphic designers to ensure a strong integration of copy and concept.
- Demonstrated effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently of and cooperatively with team members.
- A thorough knowledge of contemporary editorial and web practices.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications and Adobe Creative Suite and other desktop publishing apps.
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.