Digital Graphic Designer
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 11, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Digital Graphic Designer position is responsible for creating high-quality web and email designs to support Houston Methodist. This position will create dynamic engaging web, email and other digital projects that help accomplish complex business needs. Must have a track record of working on UI/UX for consumer facing applications and processes, applying strong knowledge of web design and email best practices to help ensure that designs provide an optimized user experience. Partners with Houston Methodist (web/ information technology (IT)) teams to establish/maintain a living web-based pattern library to ensure all web components, assets, iconography, and user interface (UI) elements (navigational, forms, footer, header, and call to action (CTA) elements) are consistent across the website and properly documented. Collaboratively creates and executes design concepts that clearly illustrate how sites, emails, etc. function, look and will support business goals. The Digital Graphic Designer will work with a wide-range of different individuals in a collaborative, high-pressure, fast-paced, and deadline-oriented environment.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Collaborates with department leadership and team member for project review and approvals. (EF)
- Collaborates with key project personnel in the development of graphics and their incorporation into website, email and other digital platforms as appropriate. (EF)
- Collaborates with various departments to ensure that brand standards are present and consistent in all material and communications, both internally and externally. (EF)
- Provide concept development for website and email design projects from conception to completion. Projects may include other digital applications, as assigned. (EF)
- Collaborates with IT/App Development team to ensure new designs are translated consistently between the website and app.
SERVICE - 30%
- Oversees multiple projects and deadlines without compromising quality and value of design work; ensures appropriate attention to detail and focus on follow-up. (EF)
- With direction, creates and executes design concepts (EF)
- Organizes and maintains electronic documents, images and graphic files for ease of use, transmittal and production. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Ensures own creative work from concept to testing and maintains original design intent, messaging and quality standards.(EF)
- Manages and maintains a pattern and component library to ensure consistency across the various pages of the Houston Methodist web space.
FINANCE - 5%
- Makes recommendations to clients or digital business owners and department leadership to increase efficiencies. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Recommends solutions to technical, creative, and process challenges; creates and edits unique and creative visual assets that maximize audience engagement while maintaining consistency with traditional materials. (EF)
- Seeks out and applies new and current knowledge of visual media technology and techniques. (EF)
- Enhances functionality (usability, accessibility, UI, etc.) of website and visual appeal while preserving Houston Methodist brand (EF)
- Keeps up with the latest trends in web and email design, implementing where appropriate. (EF)
- Participates in productive brainstorming sessions that result in concrete ideas for execution. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Computer Science, Web Design, Art, Design, or related field.
o Three years experience in front-end website design and HTML email development/creation
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o User Experience/User Interface certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to work effectively with all stakeholders within Houston Methodist.
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities and deadlines in an organized manner.
o Ability to work both independently of and cooperatively with team members
o Advanced knowledge of design technology and trends and strong visual design skills.
o Ability to create high quality compelling visual and digital communications with superior attention to detail and focus on follow-up.
o Advanced knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite including Acrobat, xD, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator.
o Experience in maintaining a pattern and component library
o Knowledge in Microsoft Office including PowerPoint and Word.
o Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences.
o Advanced knowledge in HTML coding for email design. Proficiency in other coding/scripting languages is a plus.
o Strong knowledge of email design and email service providers is required. Experience in an email automation software like Marketo, is a plus.
o Mastery of mobile-first design applicable to both mobile web and mobile email applications.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …