Director, Business Development
24500 Northwest Fwy
Cypress, TX 77429
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Leadership Management
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 18, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Director Service Line and Business Development position is responsible for identifying growth opportunities and developing plans to ensure continued operations growth of assigned entity(ies) that result in improved profitability, quality and increased market share. Identifies and recommends opportunities for strategic physician recruitment or alignment, partners with the Physician Organization leadership and CEO for medical staff development, physician contracts and engagement strategies. Responsible for strategic community outreach programs and community engagement strategies.
The Director position responsibilities include overseeing the activities of the department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency to accomplish strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for employee engagement, adequate staffing levels, budget development and compliance, staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
- Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
- Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
- Partners with physicians, hospital leadership and community leaders to identify key drivers and opportunities for service line growth initiatives for improved profitability and increased market share. (EF)
- Facilitates the resolution of physician related issues related to hospital operations. (EF)
- Leads initiatives to onboard physicians and facilitate relationship building in order to ensure clinical integration for patients.
SERVICE - 20%
- Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
- Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
- Directs the planning and organization of community outreach programs and community engagement strategies. (EF)
- Develops and implements the strategic plan for physician recruiting or alignment and physician contracts in line with the Medical Staff Development Plan and established policies and procedures. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 10%
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peer-to-peer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
- Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a cost-effective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
- Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to develop business and capitalize on market opportunities or enhance existing business through established relationships with physicians, customers and community. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 30%
- Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ system-directed activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
- Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
- Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
- Proactively partners closely with management to maintain an in-depth knowledge and rationale behind operational and corporate strategy, plans, programs and critical issues in order to ensure effective physician engagement and market strategy. (EF)
- Provides oversight to ensure the execution of business plans for the operations of the hospital to achieve hospital goals and objectives. Evaluates the implementation and effectiveness of business plans, monitoring progress and achievement of objectives, identifying corrective actions as indicated. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Master's degree required
- Five years of progressively responsible staff experience in a related field, at least two of which must have been in a Supervisor/Manager/Director role.
- For Houston Methodist employees, five years years of progressively responsible staff experience in a related field, at least two of which must have been in a role that demonstrates progressive leadership responsibility.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
- Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
- Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department; stays abreast of industry changes
- Demonstrates highly effective communication skills-strong written communications and platform presentation abilities
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
- Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
- Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
- Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
- Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills and ability to negotiate and gain acceptance of new and/or innovative ideas and persuade others to act
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call*||Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|
|May require travel outside||Yes|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist Cypress Hospital is scheduled to open in 2025 as the ninth hospital in the Houston Methodist system. Cypress, which will be master planned for 500 beds, will be modeled after Houston Methodist West and Houston Methodist The Woodlands hospitals. It will be designed as the hospital of the future and will be a testament to Houston Methodist’s commitment to innovation.
The hospital, located at Highway 290 between Barker-Cypress and Jarvis Road, will include medical office buildings to house our breast care center, cancer and infusion center, orthopedics and sports medicine and multi-specialty physician practices.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Interested applicants, please forward a copy of your CV to Rob Henges - email@example.com Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is actively seeking two full-time General Endocrinologists to join our newly established Cypress Practice, set to open in the second quarter of 2024. The practice will be located within the Cypress …
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
The Medical Staff Services Specialist provides comprehensive support to the Medical Staff and Governing Body in matters of Medical Staff self-governance. Duties are varied within the department and include one or more of the following:processing applications for appointment and reappointment to the Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals; maintaining …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Senior Scheduler position is responsible for providing consumers access to care and treatment through appointment-based availability of healthcare services at a designated facility. This position schedules patients for complex services (e.g., surgery, special procedures) on a routine basis and ensures quality patient surgical and/or ancillary …