Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
This role is responsible for the hospital's Central Plant and Maintenance departments, and new construction and renovation projects for our growing facility. The ideal candidate must have a solid work history with previous hospital leadership experience, a Bachelors and/or Masters degree, Project/Construction Management, Financial Management, and Operations Management. Hospital experience is a must!
The Director of Facilities Management is responsible for overall operations of the Facility Management. This responsibility may include building and equipment maintenance, design and construction activities, central plant operations, ground maintenance for the hospital complex.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Has primary responsibility for noted departments in terms of appropriate staffing levels, schedules, performance, and supply maintenance. (EF)
- Manages departmental human resources in accordance with policies and procedures for achieving desired outcomes to include selection/hiring, counseling, development, coaching of employees, and evaluation of performance. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Directs, delegates and oversees work efforts as appropriate to insure the highest quality and best possible delivery of service. (EF)
- Manages and completes projects as assigned by the hospital executive team that builds on Houston Methodist’s mission and business plan, and develops strategic planning & business planning processes and activities related to the long term tactics and strategies. Communicates the strategy and results to staff, administrators, board members, system level colleagues and physicians. (EF)
- Collaborates with physicians, nursing, administrative leadership and system partners to ensure achievement of organizational goals.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Conducts analyses on all department related areas such as utilization, patient satisfaction, revenue-enhancement opportunities, and cost-reduction opportunities. (EF)
- Responsible for oversight of all required compliance activities, including responsibility for occupational safety regulatory compliance if applicable to the departments. Assures compliance to regulatory agency requirements by maintaining plans, permits, reports, inspections, contracts, and other documents.
- Serves on or chairs hospital and system-wide committees as related to the operations of the departments, to include, but not limited to, EOC Safety Committee, EOC sub-committees and facilities construction related committees.
FINANCE - 20 %
- Develops and manages the department’s budget to ensure that it operates in a cost-effective manner within budget and is accountable for financial performance. (EF)
- Assists the director of finance in establishing appropriate budget; plans and organizes areas of responsibility to accomplish operational and strategic objectives and does so within budget. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Independently seeks opportunities to identify and streamline inefficiencies in assigned areas through action plans and follow-up with leaders as appropriate. Also, assesses trends for assigned departments and recommend initiatives that further support the growth and development of those areas. (EF)
- Develops initiatives with appropriate hospital leadership and responsible for implementing strategies in line with the hospital’s overall strategic plan. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 years of progressively responsible staff experience in applicable field, of at least 2 must have been in a Project Management/Supervisor/Manager/Director role.
- Experience in facilities management in an acute care setting strongly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Able to collaborate and work successfully with all levels of the organization to gain buy in and support for departmental and service line.
- Advance skills in change management, planning, execution and business intelligence.
- Experience with successful project and program management, success and outcomes.
- Strategic thinker that demonstrates innovation and strong analytical skills.
- Highly organized with proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and make decisions on relevant issues.
- Ability to work under pressure and balance competing priorities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 257 licensed bed hospital with 15 operating rooms, and over 1,700 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.