Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Director of Medication Policy, Regulatory Compliance and Research is responsible for providing overall strategic direction and vision for medication management policy, medication management accreditation compliance and research across the organization. In collaboration with Quality, the director serves as a lead role in the safety performance of the medication management processes across the organization. The director will work in conjunction with other HM pharmacy directors to align medication safety activities, coordinate the reporting of adverse medication reaction and medication event reporting programs, and standardize medication management policies across the system. He/she will maintain collaborative relationships with leaders and executives across the organization to achieve optimal outcomes. The director will work in conjunction with the medical and nursing staff to develop and maintain written policies and procedures relating to the safe management of medication processes.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains effective working relationships with pharmacy leaders and other executive leaders in safety across the organization.
2. Ensures the highest level of customer service and develops plans to continually upgrade service level.
3. Oversees and manages staff directly to meet departmental, institutional and organizational service needs.
4. Cultivates a ¿just¿ and safe culture throughout the organization and for our patients.
5. Demonstrates a lead role in the safety performance of the medication management processes across the organization.
1. Maintain effective communication with other pharmacy directors and hospital leadership teams on medication management and safety initiatives.
2. Ensure the continual evaluation of the medication distribution and clinical pharmacy processes to maximize safety and accuracy.
3. Maintains status as a qualified preceptor for ASHP accredited residency programs.
4. Maintains status as a qualified preceptor and program director for ASHP accredited residency programs.
5. Leads and/or actively participates in internal and external safety committees and forums across the system.
1. Oversees the development/assessment of a pharmacy quality program that monitors and ensures the integrity and safety of medication related service.
2. Provides direction for the safety of the system¿s medication management processes and designs the program in collaboration with System Quality¿s overall adverse event program.
3. Oversees the development of new or revision of existing medication related policy and procedures across the organization.
4. Serves as the content expert for ISO and NIAHO medication management standards for the system.
5. Coordinates with pharmacy directors to maintain integration of pharmacy services throughout the organization to ensure compliance with legal requirements set by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, DNV, CMS and other regulatory agencies that govern the practice of pharmacy.
1. Accountable for labor and non-labor budget for areas of responsibility.
2. Collaborates with pharmacy directors to determine appropriate cost-effective, safe medication processes.
3. Allocates resources to meet departmental, institutional, and system service goals and objectives.
1. Oversees system pharmacy activities to support research involving investigation medications.
2. Explores new opportunities and best practices to deliver safer care to our patients.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
1. Bachelor or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree required
2. Master Degree in Business Administration or Healthcare Administration required
3. Completed an accredited approved residency program or demonstrate equivalent experience
Minimum of five years management experience in a large hospital pharmacy setting.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Required Licenses: Must be licensed to practice pharmacy in the State of Texas
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Thorough knowledge of supervisory/managerial techniques and skills.
Current working knowledge of organization policies and procedures.
Must possess excellent time / project management skills and demonstrate ability to coordinate efforts of peers and other pharmacy, nursing, administrative and medical staffs.
Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and related software.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Pharmacy Technician I
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: AS NEEDEDWork Week: This full time position will be scheduled to work various shifts as needed including evening, night and day shifts. Must ...
Pharmacy Technician II - Evenings
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: M - F; Evenings; with variable coverage for weekends and holidays.Job Summary11/2016JOB SUMMARYThe Pharmacy Technician II is an experienced Pharmacy Technician ...
Pharmacy Technician I
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: Job SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe Pharmacy Technician I completes a variety of routine pharmacy services related to medication acquisition and distribution which include, ...