Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Director of Nursing is responsible for the 24-hour management of the assigned nursing units and departments in terms of the quality of nursing care delivered, as well as for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating nursing services within area of specialty. The director provides leadership and oversight in the accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives of The Department of Nursing. Provides strategic direction for nursing and business operations, responsible for establishing strategic and tactical plans for clinical services, new programs and human resource allocation. Promotes a practice environment that empowers nurses to provide effective, compassionate, efficient and knowledgeable nursing care. Works in cooperation with the Medical Staff to ensure regulations and accreditation standards are maintained.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Varies by Nursing Unit
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a satisfied and competent employee work environment through establishing a climate for growth and challenge, doing timely performance appraisals, providing development and mentoring of managers and staff.
2. Directs and implements hiring, counseling, discipline and performance management of unit staff and management whom report to this position.
3. Creates a climate that fosters compassionate care, innovation, cooperation, collaboration and teamwork. Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
4. Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
SERVICE - 20%
1. Directs, delegates and oversees work efforts as appropriate to insure the best possible delivery of service, quality outcomes, and high customer/patient satisfaction.
2. Sets priorities and goals in consultation with senior management. Provides leadership to staff, giving direction and guidance to managers and staff as appropriate.
3. Maintains 24 hour accountability and authority for decisions regarding patient care, unit operations and personnel management for designated unit(s).
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Remains current and proficient with regulatory requirements for the provision of clinical services. Translates the requirements into operations to ensure compliance. Uses automated systems to access, transmit and produce information (i.e. databases, Teletracking, METHOD).
2. Coordinates the provision of comprehensive, intradisciplinary patient care that results in clinical excellence, optimal outcomes and maximum patient and family satisfaction.
3. Demonstrates components of I CARE values and complies with Business Practices standards for performance.
FINANCE - 20%
1. Plans, budgets and organizes, and manages the department to accomplish operational and strategic objectives.
2. Follows all safety rules on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Projects anticipated volume and demand for resources, conducts cost analysis, analyzes and monitors budget reports and variances, evaluates human and material resource utilization and makes necessary adjustments, collaborates with finance and other business personnel to develop new program initiatives. Analyzes and interprets complex data sets and reports (variance analysis, financial/quality, population specific reports).
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Masters degree required and degree in Nursing, Bachelors or Masters.
Minimum 3 yrs in a clinical setting, minimum 2yrs management experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements. Magnet recognized certification within 6 months of eligibility. HMH only- Must have Magnet recognized leadership certification within 6 months of eligibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of healthcare industry and functional discipline to be managed. Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures. Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Nursing Manager - Mes/Surg
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Job SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe Nursing Manager is a registered nurse who has 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of ...
Nurse Manager - Operating Room
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Full TimeJob SummaryHouston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital is seeking an experienced nurse leader to work full time in the Operating Room. ...
Nursing Manager - Med/Surg (Evening)
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: SECOND Work Week: M - F Also on the $380 million hospital campus, located at the intersection of I-45 and TX 242, is ...