Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital
The Woodlands, TX 77385
Category: Imaging Services
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: March 29, 2021
The Echo Sonographer I is an entry level sonographer who performs a variety of routine echocardiograms including, but not limited to, Transthorasic Echocardiogram or TTE, with Color, Spectral Doppler and 2-D imaging, Transesophageal Echocardiogram TEE, Plain Stress Echocardiogram or Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram, TTE with bubbles, TTE with contrast and advanced TTE such as TTE with 3D imaging, for both inpatient and outpatient studies. Locates, evaluates and records pertinent anatomical, pathological and functional data while using different systems of ultrasound equipment. Transmits exams to compatible DICOM storage applications, processes preliminary technical data in designated interpreting system, and communicates any significant findings to the attending reading physician. This job requires availability to be on call.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs cardiac echo studies while ensuring precise and accurate data is transmitted for physician completion. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients when conducting the cardiac echo studies. As well as, educates patients who require inpatient or outpatient echo exams by providing explanations of purpose and techniques used during the exam. Proactively identifies issues and how to address them for optimum outcomes. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians and other health care team members during cardiac echo studies including, patient preparation before procedures and performs proper sterile techniques as indicated in support of the procedure.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Identifies and recognizes cardiac structures accurately, including: calculate valve area, pressure gradients and ejection fraction when performing echo studies. Confirms the quality of the study is concise and clear to optimize best images for the patient care team and interpreting physician. (EF)
- Identifies abnormal findings when performing exams or processing data and takes corrective action or communicates immediately, when appropriate, to proper personnel for the best results. (EF)
- Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered, when applicable. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Sonographer.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
Successful completion of a clinical rotation in a cardiovascular echosonography program or 6 months of cardiac sonographer experience required to include on the job training in echocardiograms.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Heart Association BLS
Must have one of the following credentials:
Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) from American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) or Registered Congenital Cardiac Sonographer (RCCS) from Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology/ Cardiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing workflow and actively participating in problem solving
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, a master planned campus with a 400 bed hospital – initially opening 187 beds – will ensure that we continue to deliver our special brand of health care to those who call The Woodlands home. As the eighth hospital in the Houston Methodist system, Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital is a full service hospital building upon our rich history of clinical excellence in the Texas Medical Center.