Work Shift: 11a-11p
Work Week: Works two shifts per week including weekdays, plus rotating weekends
JOB SUMMARY: To assist in the delivery of patient care and services to defined patient groups and their families under direction of the Registered Nurse, Manager, Director and Administrative Coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills required for patient care. Accurately identifies the patient using standardized patient identification protocols and resolves any discrepancies prior to caring for patient. Participates in the education of the patient and family, as appropriate.
2. Performs and records diagnostic measures, treatment and procedures, as determined by skills training and validation (i.e., vital signs, 12 Lead EKG, phlebotomy, I.V. catheter insertion, splinting, specimen collection, immobilization by backboard, extrication from vehicles) in accordance with established policies and procedures.
3. Observes patients, making hourly rounds, for condition change and reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse. Repeats vital signs according to policy. Accompanies and monitors high risk patients out of the department as delegated. Responds to the nurse call system, contacts nursing personnel as appropriate, and follow through with meeting standards as defined by the Registered Nurse.
4. Records all aspects of care administered, including height, weight, allergies and medication lists, in the patient medical record according to established procedures. Maintains and accurately processes and updates patient records, e.g., transcription of physician orders, recording of patient’s medications, obtaining lab and other study results, identification labels, patients’ valuables, etc. assuring all forms are properly identified with the patient's name and contents are filed correctly.
5. Coordinates departmental communications; initiating calls, following up according to prescribed timeframes. Maintains an accurate log, based on accurate activities, of calls made to physicians, other facilities and ancillary departments. Follows up with calls/pages not returned in thirty minutes.
6. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, equipment, and resource information. Assists in the inventory, monitoring and ordering supplies and medical equipment to maintain par levels.
7. Functions as a team member, responding willingly to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership. Coordinates the patient work flow, problem-solves, directs other techs and manages several ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
8. Serves as leader, using critical thinking, in several capacities; mentors new EMT-P, EMT-I and PCA personnel as to unit procedures, role and unit readiness and as team leader in patient decontamination operations. Accurately sorts patients, according to severity, upon arrival; initiating and notifying the R.N. of patient requiring immediate attention.
9. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE Values Statement.
10. Demonstrates Customer Service Standards (smiles and makes eye contact, greets each patient and visitor, seeks out patient and visitor contact, displays appropriate body language at all times, take 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor, honor diversity and thanks each customer).
11. Follows all safety rules on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or GED equivalent is required. Also requires successful completion of EMT (Paramedic) program.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: 6 months experience as a Paramedic required; 1 year of hospital experience preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Current CPR (BLS & ACLS) through the American Heart Association is required. Must also have current Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (State of Texas) license.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Must be able to pass a basic EKG interpretation skills test.
2. Basic Computer knowledge required.
3. Ability to communicate efficiently in English.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Patient Care Assistant - PT - Inpatient Bone Marrow Transplant
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Job SummaryThe PCA I is a PCA with little to no acute care hospital experience who will be engaged in an ...
Patient Care Assistant -Nights
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: 7p-7aWork Week: 12 hours shifts with rotating weekends/holidays offJob SummaryThe PCA I is a Patient Care Assistant with some acute care hospital experience ...
Patient Care Assistant II
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: 7a-7pWork Week: 12 hours shifts with rotating weekends/holidays offJob SummaryThe PCA II is an experienced Nursing Assistant who has demonstrated proficiency and competencies ...