The Endovascular Radiologic Technologist I, is a Radiologic Technologist who performs highly specialized radiological procedures involving complex imaging equipment and techniques to produce quality images to diagnose and treat medical abnormalities. Assists physicians with therapeutic procedures that encompass vascular, neurological, spinal, and multi organ interventions from diagnostic examinations such as angiography and venography to complex treatments of stroke, aneurysms, embolization of hemorrhages or tumors of any area of the brain and body, catheter placements for drains or infusions, and other image-guided interventions that are adjunct to OR procedures. A member of the direct patient care team, actively participates and scrubs into vascular and interventional cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment and control of radiation throughout procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by radiology agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. This job requires availability to be on call.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs highly specialized radiological procedures involving complex imaging equipment and techniques to produce quality images to diagnose and treat medical abnormalities. (EF)
- Assists physicians with therapeutic procedures that encompass vascular, neurological, spinal, and multi organ interventions from diagnostic examinations such as angiography and venography to complex treatments of stroke, aneurysms, embolization of hemorrhages or tumors of any area of the brain and body, catheter placements for drains or infusions, and other image-guided interventions that are adjunct to OR procedures. (EF)
- Actively participates and scrubs into Endovascular cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment as well as the control of radiation throughout procedures. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various Radiologic concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows radiation safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
- Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as an Endovascular Radiology Technologist I.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
One year experience as a Radiologic Technologist with Special Procedures required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R))
Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC)
American Heart Association BLS
American Heart Association ACLS preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Since 2000, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been serving Northwest Houston residents. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is a comprehensive acute care facility and has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. With 358 operating beds, 20 operating rooms and more than 2,300 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for patients in Champions, Tomball, Magnolia, Spring and Cypress.