Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Exercise Physiologist position plans, coordinates, implements and evaluates all exercise and educational components of cardiac rehabilitation for both inpatient and outpatient. This position performs routine exercise treatments and procedures and related patient care support activities as established by the plan of care. The Exercise Physiologist position works with team members in assessing, monitoring and adjusting activities to optimize a patient’s care and experience.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Delivers high quality patient care as outlined in the patient’s care plan, putting the patient’s needs above all by providing a nurturing environment, continuous positive feedback and firm direction to achieve a positive outcome. (EF)
- Responds positively to requests for assistance from customers, employees and visitors, using clear and professional communication to facilitate problem resolution. Interacts with individuals in a supportive and respectful manner. (EF)
SERVICE- 25 %
- Obtains applicable and relevant information prior to patient’s treatment sessions. Provides education of plan of care to patients, family members, or caregivers (EF).
- Develops and implements treatment plans. Communicates and records patient’s response to treatment plan. (EF)
- Provides instruction and educational material to cardiac rehab patients in a way that is easily understood by using handouts and/or brochures that provide clear, precise and accurate information either through daily one-on-one interaction or a class setting. Facilitates patients transition from inpatient to outpatient cardiac rehabilitation, as applicable. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Monitors patient’s progress and modifies treatment as allowed by the plan of care, recognizing complications/limitations associated with certain procedures. Collaborates and communicates with the interprofessional team with any modifications to patient’s treatment process, progress, and/or discharge planning. (EF)
- Ensures all equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. Collects and reviews quality metrics and analytics. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks to meet the labor productivity standards. (EF)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters charges for services provided as applicable. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Participates in special projects and department initiatives and seeks opportunities to expand learning with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Continually updates, as technology and heart care evolve, technical knowledge of exercise and other components of cardiac rehabilitation (heart disease, nutrition, stress management etc.). (EF)
- Participates and contributes on various department projects and activities which could include shared governance, staff development and expansion of services. (EF)
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging co-workers and interprofessional team in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science or related field of study
- Master’s degree preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Amercian Heart Association ACLS within ninety days of hire/transfer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.