Financial Analyst-Physician Billing - Medical Museum Tower
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Finance and Legal
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 14, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Financial Analyst position is responsible for maintaining and analyzing data related to the financial performance of the assigned entity, hospital(s), and/or contractual relationship. The Analyst is also responsible for compiling and reporting information as requested by Financial Accounting, Internal Audit, Revenue Cycle, their department, and entity management. Responsible for the routine analysis of data, and monthly reporting. The Financial Analyst highlights performance issues, identifies problems and researches solutions. Reports statistical information in graphical and other presentation formats. Other responsibilities may include the assistance with annual operating budgets and maintenance of monthly dashboards of key indicators and external benchmarks.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 10 %
- Interacts with all levels within the department, other institutional departments, and across the organization as well as outside companies to resolve problems/errors or questions regarding basic accounting reconciliation items or financial performance. (EF)
- Effectively and proactively communicates with all stakeholders to resolve issues and discrepancies in a timely manner and ensures their accurate understanding of the analytics. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Extracts actual and budget financial accounting General Ledger (G/L) data or financial data from appropriate sources to report and reconcile with appropriate leadership. Generates accurate and timely reports. (EF)
- Supports department management with prepration of the annual operating and capital budget. Submits invoices and follows-up with industry partners as needed. In addition, prepares necessary journal entries for coordinator effort and Principal Investigator (PI) oversight as assigned. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Reviews revenue projections, budget revisions, etc., for physician practice, academic department or assigned hospital entity and department(s). (EF)
- Monitors and reports key system operational indicators and alerts leadership potential performance issues. (EF)
- Follows all internal audit requirements for appropriate system applications. (EF)
- Utilizes/enhances tools to improve the accuracy of financial analytics and enhance revenue opportunities.
FINANCE - 40 %
- Performs one or more of the following: (EF)
- Supports the development of auditing, reporting and contract modeling tools as needed for identification and analysis of rate and/or fee schedule auditing, financial performance and contract performance as well as modeling and analysis of potential opportunities.
- Maintains monthly dashboard of key indicators and external benchmarks as defined by management. Prepares and maintains revenue models. Compiles information needed for organization profit and loss statement as required.
- Reviews contracts/calculates provider productivity bonuses/compensation models as appropriate.
- Assists in preparation of gift, grant and contract budget proposals as needed. Assists in the oversight of department’s financial files for all grants, contracts, and donor funding and verifies that all faculty, staff and research personnel are charged to the appropriate funding source via submission of a salary reallocation form as appropriate.
- Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maxium results in a timely manner. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10 %
- Maintains procedures and Standards of Practice (SOP’s) for reconciliation process. (EF)
- Maintains working knowledge of cost accounting system, clinical trials management systems or others and their relationship to other financial and non-financial systems. Maintains working knowledge of hospital and physician compensation methodologies and affecting government regulations, as applicable. (EF)
- Proactively manages own career development. Completes My Development Plan (MDP). (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, healthcare administration, business administration or related field
o One year experience of financial, budget or cost accounting preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Analytical thinking and creative problem solving and ability to define a variety of approraches to business problems
o Understanding of business process analysis, system requirements, data modeling and functional design
o Project Management skills
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers, Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group employs over 800 physicians at more than 150 locations across Houston. Our specialists are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. The combination of clinical service, research and academics ensure patients have access to the latest treatments and technologies while providing the best comprehensive patient care.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …