Food Services Assistant - Full Time - Evenings - $1,000 Sign On and $500 Referral Bonus
The Woodlands, TX 77385
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Support Services
- Job Shift:
- 2nd - Evening
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 18, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Food Services Assistant (FSA) position is responsible for performing a variety of duties in the kitchen, patient tray line and/or retail areas such as assisting in tray assembly for patients, simple food preparation, serving customers and set up to include replenishing stations. This position transports food carts to and from kitchen areas to patient care units and/or conference rooms in a timely manner and will perform dishwashing duties, as assigned. The FSA position communicates with peers and management regarding identified hazards in the work place, following correct procedures in cleaning of equipment and sanitation of work areas, along with special cleaning as assigned. This position follows all departmental policies and procedures and complies with relevant local Food Ordinances.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients, visitors and staff. Communicates clearly and professionally to promote both work efforts and problem resolution. Works in conjunction with the Patient Services, Catering, Retail Services and Production staff as part of a team ensuring each delivery is accurately prepared, and on time. (EF)
- Follows through with resolving problems as they arise and provides leadership with a full report when issues are identified. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 35%
- Prepares and serves simple food items as directed by production sheet or menu. (EF)
- Delivers trays with accuracy and efficiency to designated locations to achieve established time frame for room service or traditional service meal delivery. Assists with assembling of trays on tray-line as needed. Works in the dish room as assigned. (EF)
- Transports pantry supplies, garbage, cardboard and supplies to designated areas. Maintains clean, orderly storage areas with all food items. (EF)
- Retrieves soiled trays, returns carts in a timely manner to appropriate location. (EF)
- Performs patient tray setup and ensures all supplies stocked for patient tray line each meal period. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Follows proper procedure in loading and transporting of food delivery carts to prevent spillage and delay of meal delivery to the patient. Accurately maintains food cart delivery log. (EF)
- Ensures food served is presented attractively and is held at the proper temperature. Follows all relevant local Food Ordinances including by not limited to, labeling and dating food properly to ensure freshness, properly rotates food items and ensures all food beyond the expiration date is discarded. Ensures the service area is clean and sanitized. (EF)
- Follows the menu paying close attention to details. Reviews menus in advance to ensure supplies are in-house. Utilizes down time for preparation of setups to ensure menus are ready at the specified time. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Minimizes food waste through portion control and ensures proper use and storage of food, supplies and equipment to reduce departmental cost and expenses. (EF)
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, assisting coworkers as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that will improve quality or service. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
o Experience in a food service environment or large service establishment preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Accredited food handler training course approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TXDSHS) or by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Working knowledge of Serve Safe guidelines and Health department standards
o Knowledge of food service equipment and sanitation principles
o Demonstrates active listening skills giving full attention to what other people are saying
o Knowledge of kitchen equipment
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Transports food carts for meal service through corridors and elevators to and from food prep area.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital is committed to leading medicine in Montgomery County and the north Houston region by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, service and innovation. The growing campus offers 293 beds and access to the most innovative care. In January 2022, the hospital opened Healing Tower – a $250-million expansion project that added 106 beds, focused on medical/surgical and women’s services and nine operating rooms. It also included the expansion of the endoscopy center, emergency department and diagnostic imaging department.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands is recognized as a comprehensive stroke center, an orthopedic center of excellence by DNV, designated as a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, and has achieved Magnet Designation for nursing excellence from the ANCC. Houston Methodist The Woodlands is also ranked No. 1 nationally out of 148 members in the Complex Care Medical Centers cohort to be recognized for demonstrating excellence in delivering high-quality care based on the 2022 Vizient Quality and Accountability Ranking.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is currently seeking a full-time Structural Cardiologist to join our well established, thriving and dynamic team. Houston Methodist The Woodlands campus is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of a growing community. The successful candidate must be committed to providing unparalleled patient care with expertise …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Director Community Benefits position is responsible for supporting hospital system maintenance of nonprofit status within federal and state regulations of charity care laws and designing and managing programs designed to enhance the institution’s reputation as a socially responsible corporate citizen within the health care industry. …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services (EVS) Representative position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. This position performs a variety of general cleaning tasks in assigned areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff in accordance with department standards.