Category: Food Service
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Aug. 5, 2019
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: VARIES
Assists the management team in developing as well as implementing process improvements for increasing patient and customer satisfaction.
In the absence of the Supervisor/Team Leader the Food Service Specialist must possesses the appropriate job knowledge and skill to follow through as well as correct problems with the customer (patients, staff and visitors). Actively participates in the department`s quality/performance improvement programs.
The employee is assigned to work in food service department areas and perform and/or direct duties such as: assisting in tray assembly, simple food preparation, serving customers, replenishing stations, cash handling and transporting food carts in a timely manner.
Completes approved number of required customer service and/or diet knowledge inservices.
Always uses the ICARE values and Service Pride standards and ensures that department associates are doing so as well.
Communicates with peers and management regarding identified hazards in the work place.
Follows correct procedures in cleaning of equipment and sanitation of work areas, along with special cleaning as assigned. Follows all safety rules while on the job.
Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
Follows all departmental policies and procedures and must comply with the City of Houston Food Ordinance.
Thoroughly documents and monitors time and attendance and reports overtime accurately.
Reports staffing concerns to management in a timely manner. Performs other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PATIENT SERVICES: Customer service / guest relations Adheres to hospital policies and procedures regarding patient`s rights, privacy and confidentiality.
1. Possesses, displays and maintains a patient centered and service minded attitude toward patients.
2. Maintains professional and technical expertise. Oversees the final tray assembly for patients on assigned units for accuracy, proper temperature and appearance.
3. Able to make simple diet modifications to conform to new orders while assembling trays for patients.
4. Leads and controls the flow of tray delivery to meet the 45 minute time standard and ensures traditional service meal delivery schedule is adhered to.
5. Ensures food trucks leave the kitchen according to schedule.
6. Maintains log documenting times of deliveries and quality control measures.
7. Personal effectiveness Actively looks for ways to help people.
8. Promotes, develops and sustains teamwork.
9. Demonstrates effective organizational skills to ensure that the workload is processed quickly and efficiently.
10. Demonstrates skills and initiative in problem-solving and improving productivity.
11. Communicates and interacts with patients, nursing, family members, care providers, and members of the department in a positive, courteous, polite and helpful manner.
12.Leadership Demonstrates skills and ability to handle complaints and resolves problems in the absence of the Supervisor/Team Leader.
13. Utilizes good judgment in professional decision-making.
14. Demonstrates skills and ability to obtain as well as analyze pertinent information in order to make informed decisions.
15. Provides accurate documentation of work performed.
16. Develops and maintains a working knowledge and understanding of the HIS system as well as the computerized departmental software system and office equipment.
17. Demonstrates the ability to utilize the HIS system, CBORD or MethOD to accurately check orders for using information received from the tray check sheets, fax machines, printer, patient, nursing or the Dietitian/Dietetic Technician.
18. Demonstrates ability to effectively operate without error the following types of equipment: hospital phones, wireless pagers, fax machines, laser printers, copiers, dish machines, coffee makers, tea machines and steam tables.
19. Inventories and keeps supplies at pre-established amounts to reduce waste and stay within budgeting funds. Fondren 12 only: Screens patients for nutrition information. Collects and records calorie intake. Orients patients to modified diets and documents response. Visits patients during meal periods and follows up on comments, requests, or problems.
20. Maintains daily billing for end of month billing purposes. Charges guest trays to patient`s account. Inventories food and supplies and orders items based on par levels, census, and patient requirements. Accesses and operates the CBORD system for ordering and cost containment purposes.
21. Call Center Specialist Only: Maintains incoming patient room service calls for accuracy of diet information provided, courtesy of the CNA II and proper scripting is verbalized. Able to trouble shoot simple diet modifications to conform to new orders if patient issues arise. Communicates pertinent information (difficulty eating, poor appetite, nourishment concerns, formula usage, request to see the dietitian, nutrition consult orders) to ensure proper handling and timely processing of information.
FOOD CONTROL Determines food orders and orders food via telephone and computer based CBORD systems to meet the needs of the patient menu and production schedule.
22. Maintains established stock levels for perishable and non-perishable items stored within the unit, based on par levels and inventory.
23. Functions in a lead capacity to assist the manager in his/her absence. Performs weekly inventory every Wednesday, along with assistant. Assures that unit is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, by performing daily sanitation inspections. Completes monthly Food Control employee schedule.
24. FOOD PRODUCTION & NOURISHMENTS Prepares and assembles nourishments for patients from computer printouts according to diet orders.
25. Verifies compliance with diet orders and FNS nourishment lists, notifies supervisor for approval of any nourishments outside of guidelines.
26. Performs other food and ingredient preparation tasks as assigned; cross-trained in ingredient room and cold production.
27. RETAIL, CATERING, DOCTORS COFFEE BAR - Visits with guest and follows up on comments, requests, or problems to Team Leader.
28. Performs money handling duties; deposits, charge and cashier checkouts. Performs food inventories and ordering. Monitors storage levels of food, paper, and other supplies.
29. Checks daily menu for accuracy. Prepares and stocks beverages, cold and hot food items. Checks temperatures of food items and ensures that all food is served at the proper temperature. Checks the quality of set up items, trays, china dishes and glassware. Removes damaged items. Assists and directs employees in proper food handling and portioning. Knows prices of all food items and operates cash register when needed.
30. Maintains daily pars of food items in the café and rotates products properly. Inventories food and supplies and orders items based on par levels, census, and patient requirements.
31. Monitors and records the temperatures of food, refrigeration, and the dish machine. Reports problems to the Manager in order to fix the problem.
32. Provides weekly inspection reports violations and corrections to the Manager.
33. Communicates with the Manager, staff, and Team Leader ensures issues are handled in a timely fashion. Answers the telephone in a courteous manner. Receives, records, and delivers messages and follows up with messages. Keeps the management staff fully informed of problems. Must be fully competent in opening and closing the Market Place. Reports work progress to the Team Leader.
34. Fully responsible for operation in the absence of the Manager or Team Leader. Assists in projects, training, and orientation of new employees. Participates in departmental safety programs and compliance with all regulatory agencies.
35. Responsible for making the menu line recording clear and concise on a daily basis. Contacts Facilities for maintenance issues. Greets customers and is available during peak times. Maintains serving and dining area in excellent condition.
36. Reports problems to the Manager in order to fix the problem.
37. Maintains the area so it complies with all regulatory agencies, including City of Houston Health Department, Fire Department, and JCAHO. Provides weekly inspection report violations and corrections to the Manager.
38. Leads and monitors staff in the proper food preparation and garnishing of all menu items.
39. Assists in the preparation process utilizing CBORD technology in controlling quantities ordered, waste, and variety.
40. Operates CBORD software, accessing menus and reports; and makes changes as needed.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Minimum 3 years experience directing staff.
Food service experience desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Must obtain City of Houston Food Services Manage Certification within 90 days of employment. Must maintain current certification thereafter.
Extensive walking and standing. Some light lifting is required not to exceed 50 lbs.
Operates potentially dangerous equipment such as slicer, dishwasher or coffee maker.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Room Services Concierge
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: VariesHouston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45 and includes two 150,000-square-foot medical buildings. The ...
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: Part-timeJob Summary08/2016JOB SUMMARYResponsible for taking diet orders from patients. Responsible for explaining which diet patients are on and answering questions regarding ...
Food Services Assistant
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: Day and Evening Shifts will be assigned on an as needed basis.Work Week: Monday - Friday. Will also be required to work weekends ...