Category: RN - Med/Surg
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Feb. 22, 2019
Work Shift: 7a to 7p
Work Week: Rotating schedule to include weekends.
FT GN position on 3 Surgical, days 7a to 7p.
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse I (RN) position is a licensed staff nurse, may be an entry level nurse, who demonstrates the ability to continuously progress in skill to care for increasingly complex patients, receiving coaching from experienced RNs and management and benefits from their practice. The position functions at the Novice to Advanced Beginner stage according to Benner's model of clinical practice, participating in unit initiatives and shared governance. The RN I position provides professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment, patient education, and maintenance of medical records. This position collaborates with the physicians and interprofessional health care team to facilitate, coordinate and maintain compassionate, efficient, quality care and achievement of desired treatment outcomes. The RN I position demonstrates clinical competency when providing care, using technology, administering medications, performing procedures and managing emergencies, acting as a patient and family advocate in order to monitor patient rights and needs. This position assures continuity of care through appropriate communication, discharge planning, patient education and coordination of services.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Establishes a relationship with patients, families and the interprofessional health care team to collaborate on the plan of care by using progressive skills in therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching. (EF)
2. Contributes to teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Seeks guidance from interprofessional health care team, when needed, and applies feedback to improve patient outcomes. (EF)
3. Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee engagement on unit-based scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Follows the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment and documentation/maintenance of medical records. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
2. Develops, updates and communicates plan of care, including discharge, in partnership with the patient, family and interprofessional health care team, using the nursing process. Prioritizes care based on the patient¿s needs, abilities and preferences. Advocates on patient/family¿s behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns, utilizing appropriate resources. (EF)
3. Provides patient education based on learning needs, uses appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. Consistently evaluates the patient¿s comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. (EF)
4. Uses peer-to-peer accountability to contribute towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Follows the standards of care related to the nursing process, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. (EF)
2. Follows the standards related to regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. (EF)
3. Provides and modifies care for increasingly complex patients and coordinates care with the interprofessional teams. Plans for routine events and progressively manages emergent situations in collaboration with the healthcare team. (EF)
4. Contributes towards improving quality and safety targets on unit-based scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability, focusing on the task at hand and reporting near misses. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Displays self motivation to independently manage time effectively, timely documentation of care, minimize incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Uses resources effectively and efficiently. (EF)
2. Contributes towards meeting department financial targets on unit-based scorecard through decreasing length of stay, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Participates in unit evidence-based practice projects focused on innovation, efficiency or improvement in patient care and shared governance activities. Embraces and enacts new care pathways or service line implementation to improve service to the community. (EF)
2. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Pursues educational opportunities for professional growth and benefits the department through knowledge dissemination. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited School of Nursing
o Zero years of experience with minimal clinical nursing experience, up through at least eighteen months of health care experience
o If less than six months of clinical nursing experience, must complete Houston Methodist nurse residency program
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Other credentials and certifications as defined by unit/service line
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Progression towards competent assessment, organizational and problem solving skills as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
o Progression towards demonstrating time management skills
o Ability to progress towards independence and exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional healthcare team and patients and their families
o Progression towards critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work as defined by the Nurse Practice Act
o Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide
o Working knowledge of Microsoft products including Outlook
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept. approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital brings the expertise and compassionate care of Houston Methodist Hospital in The Texas Medical Center – a national Honor Roll hospital – to Bay Area communities. The hospital provides a broad spectrum of adult medical and surgical care, is an accredited chest pain center, and is also acute stroke-ready designated through DNV. Houston Methodist Clear Lake offers many inpatient and outpatient services including 3-D mammography and other state-of-the-art imaging, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, Cancer Center of Excellence, advanced laparoscopic surgery, comprehensive orthopedics and sports medicine, neurology, urology and otolaryngology. Also, Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital is honored to be the only hospital in the bay area to have a Grade A rating from Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grading.
Registered Nurse II (RN) Med Surg Nights Sign On Bonus
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: 7p-7aJob Summary11/2018JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position is a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at ...
Registered Nurse (RN) Medical Oncology Nights
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends and holidaysJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse I (RN) position is a licensed staff ...
Registered Nurse II (RN) Med Surg Days Sign On Bonus
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: 7a-7pJob Summary11/2018JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position is a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at ...