At Houston Methodist Willowbrook, the Infection Preventionist is responsible for implementing and maintaining the multiple facets of the Infection Control Program. S/he is a liaison between all departments and the Infection Control Committee. This individual maintains a routine surveillance program of patients, personnel, and the environmental problems that present a real or potential threat to the welfare of patients, visitors, or personnel throughout the institution. Serves as member of the Infection Control Committee. Promotes compliance with accreditation, certification and regulatory requirement.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 5%
- Coordinates with others for the investigation, identification, and, as deemed appropriate, follow-up of contacts who are suspected or confirmed to have been exposed to relevant communicable diseases at Houston Methodist. (This activity shall include the notification of and follow through with the Employee Health Nurse when such contacts have involved Hospital personnel.) (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Uses national recognized definitions and best practice guidelines to maintain a practical surveillance program which incorporates the systematic and current review of healthcare associated infections (HAIs), significant communicable diseases, and environmental events with potential impact to patient, visitor and healthcare provider safety. (EF)
- Exercises sound clinical judgment, discretion and initiative when performing medical record audits. Communicates identified quality or risk issues through departmental and hospital chain-of-command. (EF)
- Presents instructional material for orientations and continuing education relevant to infection prevention and control throughout the hospital. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 60%
- Routinely conducts infection prevention process surveillance to identify potential process deficiencies which may impact patient safety and lead to HAIs. (EF)
- Recognizes and investigates clusters of infections, communicates the investigation results through appropriate channels, and facilitates the implementation of interventions to prevent future infections. Supports facility construction planning and collaborates with construction through Infection Control Risk Assessment activities. Escalates safety and infection control issues in a timely fashion. (EF)
- Contributes to the evaluation (at least annually) and documents the effectiveness of the Infection Control Program Plan. Facilitates (at least annually) the revision of the Infection Control Program Plan to include new goals and measures as deemed appropriate based on a concurrent risk assessment. Develops and revises policies and procedures to meet current practice standards. (EF)
- Communicates all pertinent information at timely intervals to the Director of Quality & Outcomes and Medical Director of Infection Control as appropriate. Responsible for reporting mandatory Infections data to the national databases, local health authorities, and other regulatory organizations, as necessary. Maintains patient and physician confidentiality. Participates in hospital survey preparation and onsite survey activity. (EF)
- Data mines information and produces statistics and reports in a meaningful way for decision making in support of continued infection prevention. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
- Collaborates with other departments to monitor use of resources related to infection prevention. Participates in cost reduction efforts by making recommendations to mitigate risk of infection. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Responsible for facilitating and coordinating efforts aimed at implementing new standards as required by regulatory and accrediting agencies; including implementation of new or improved policies and procedures related to infection prevention. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development in infection prevention.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Must possess one of the following:
- Bachelor and/or Master degree in Nursing, Medical Technology, Microbiology, or Public Health
- Bachelor degree in another related field with previous infection control experience and CIC certification
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an acute care or public health setting
- Previous experience in infection control or public health is preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Certification in Infection Control within three years' employment in the role required for all
- Bachelor degree in Nursing also requires Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- Bachelor degree in Medical Technology also requires ASCP-MT or Clinical Scientist (CS)
- Bachelor degree in Microbiology also requires specialization in clinical microbiology and registry
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Competent in Infection Control Practices including Isolation Precautions, hospital surveillance and construction projects
- Maintains current knowledge regarding all laws, regulatory and accreditation standards
- Proficient with computer programs to complete job duties independently
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently with little or no direct supervision
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a limited basis (for Exempt jobs only)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||Yes|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since 2000, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been serving Northwest Houston residents. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is a comprehensive acute care facility and has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. With 358 operating beds, 20 operating rooms and more than 2,300 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for patients in Champions, Tomball, Magnolia, Spring and Cypress.