Category: RN - Performance Improvement/Quality
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 15, 2019
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Infection Preventionist is responsible for implementing and maintaining the multiple facets of the Infection Control Program. S/he is a liaison between all departments and the Infection Control Committee. This individual maintains a routine surveillance program of patients, personnel, and the environmental problems that present a real or potential threat to the welfare of patients, visitors, or personnel throughout the institution. Serves as member of the Infection Control committee. Promotes compliance with accreditation, certification and regulatory requirements.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental Scope of Service and Provision of Care plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 5%
1. Coordinates with others for the investigation, identification, and, as deemed appropriate, follow-up of contacts who are suspected or confirmed to have been exposed to relevant communicable diseases at Houston Methodist. (This activity shall include the notification of and follow through with the Employee Health Nurse when such contacts have involved Hospital personnel.) (EF)
2. Facilitates in the development and/or implementation of infection prevention improvement projects in collaboration with departments.
SERVICE - 5%
1. Uses national recognized definitions and best practice guidelines to maintain a practical surveillance program which incorporates the systematic and current review of healthcare associated infections (HAIs), significant communicable diseases, and environmental events with potential impact to patient, visitor and healthcare provider safety. (EF)
2. Exercises sound clinical judgment, discretion and initiative when performing medical record audits. Communicates identified quality or risk issues through departmental and hospital chain-of-command. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 75%
1. Routinely conducts infection prevention process surveillance to identify potential process deficiencies which may impact patient safety and lead to HAIs.
2. Recognizes and investigates clusters of infections, communicates the investigation results through appropriate channels, and facilitates the implementation of interventions to prevent future infections. (EF)
3. Evaluates (at least annually) and documents the effectiveness of the Infection Control Program Plan. Facilitates (at least annually) the revision of the Infection Control Program Plan to include new goals and measures as deemed appropriate based on a concurrent risk assessment.
4. Develops and revises policies and procedures to meet current practice standards. (EF)
5. Develops presentation for orientations and continuing education relevant to infection prevention and control throughout the hospital. (EF)
6. Participates in product selection and provides input relevant to infection prevention. Assists in developing educational materials related to product implementation related to infection control.
7. Communicates all pertinent information at timely intervals to the Director of Quality & Outcomes and Medical Director of Infection Control as appropriate. Responsible for reporting mandatory Infections data to the national databases, local health authorities, and other regulatory organizations, as necessary. Maintains patient and physician confidentiality. (EF)
8. Data mines information and produces statistics and reports in a meaningful way for decision making in support of continued infection prevention. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
1. Collaborates with other departments to monitor use of resources related to infection prevention.
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Responsible for facilitating and coordinating efforts aimed at implementing new standards as required by regulatory and accrediting agencies; including implementation of new or improved policies and procedures related to infection prevention. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development in infection prevention.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Must possess one of the following:
Minimum of 2 years of experience in an acute care or public health setting.
Previous experience in infection control or public health is desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Certification in Infection Control within three years¿ employment in the role required for all.
Registered Nurse with a BSN degree also requires a current Texas license;
Bachelors degree in Medical Technology also requires ASCP-MT or Clinical Scientist (CS);
Bachelors degree in Microbiology also requires specialization in clinical microbiology and registry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Competent in Infection Control Practices including Isolation Precautions, hospital surveillance and construction projects.
Maintains current knowledge regarding all laws, regulatory and accreditation standards.
Proficient with computer programs to complete job duties independently.
Demonstrates the ability to work independently with little or no direct supervision.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Normal office conditions.
Standard office equipment
Occasional standing and walking for prolonged periods.
Daily data retrieval and entry utilizing a computer.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryThe Infection Preventionist is responsible for implementing and maintaining the multiple facets of the Infection Control Program. S/he ...
Quality Outcomes Specialist
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Quality Outcomes Specialist assesses and facilitates clinical systems and/or processes to ensure that care ...
Clinical Documentation Specialist
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryResponsible for improving the overall quality and completeness of clinical documentation. Analyzes medical records for DRG's, complications, and ...