Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Category: RN - Clinic
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Oct. 5, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) Lead Staff Registered Nurse (RN) position is responsible for functioning as an advanced clinician, at the Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice This position develops best practices, identifies and leads process and quality improvement initiatives. In addition to fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of a cardiology specialty clinical nurse, the Lead Staff RN serves as a mentor and resource to all team members utilizing skills and knowledge to help train and develop others and achieve optimum performance levels for responsible service line, shift and/or clinics assigned. This position conducts quality assurance audits of staff performance, provides feedback to management on staff performance and identifies developmental needs. The Lead RN provides nursing care to a diverse patient population in an organized, effective manner and performs patient education on ACHD. Practices and leads relationship centered care in concert with Houston Methodist's values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence, as well as the ServicePride standards.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Serves as a liaison between the physician and the clinical staff regarding the execution of quality patient care outcomes. Coaches staff to use efficient and effective communication and fosters staff engagement by demonstrating active listening, requesting and acknowledging feedback, making equitable decisions, providing rationale when appropriate, and supporting organizational goals. Improves department score for turnover/retention/employee satisfaction. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be a dynamic, focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Anticipates the needs of the staff members and proactively offers assistance. Role models interprofessional communication and assists with staff stress management as needed. (EF)
- Serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to other Registered Nurses, providing guidance and direction as needed. Identifies levels of conflict and applies tools to effectively resolve concerns, complaints or conflict with patients, families, physicians and other interprofessional health care team members. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Leads the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Mentors others regarding specialty populations. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Assesses patient progress, collaborating with other nursing staff when needed, in accordance with the nursing process and established plan of care. Provides patient education regarding disease process and involves patient as well as family/significant other, when appropriate, in decision-making process. (EF)
- Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns, utilizing appropriate resources, coordinating with the interprofessional team to facilitate a holistic and goal-oriented approach to care across the continuum that meets the patient's physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs. (EF)
- Drives department service standards and activities to improve department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, through role modeling and fostering accountability. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Role models the standards of care related to the nursing process, regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document, by actively participating in meeting and improving quality indicators and patient safety goals and outcomes. Participates in the creation of a continuous improvement environment by promoting situational awareness, and using teachable moments. (EF)
- Leads the delivery of quality family-centered care, ensuring the patient plan of care is accurate and timely, coaching staff if documentation deficiencies are identified. Maintains knowledge of the patient's condition and knows when to negotiate a change in the plan of care with the physician and other members of the care team. (EF)
- Assumes an advanced leadership role in analyzing systems and processes to anticipate/reduce risk and improve patient safety and quality care outcomes. Leads initiatives to improve quality and safety scores providing recommendations; proactively identifies opportunities for corrective action, leads process improvement, and contributes to meeting department targets for quality and safety through peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides input into department resource utilization including capital and operational budget needs. Oversees use of resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment, providing guidance to team members accordingly. (EF)
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, optimizing efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Offers innovative solutions through evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects and shared governance activities. Expands individual nursing knowledge on the latest information and research regarding new procedures, new guidelines and new innovations within discipline, and educates team on findings. (EF)
- Accountable for own on-going professional growth and development. Seeks feedback to gain insight into performance, interpersonal behaviors and incorporates feedback to improve performance. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited School of Nursing
- Five years of nursing experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
- American Heart Association BLS
- Other credentials and certifications as defined by department/service line
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to coach and develop strong interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team. Exhibits excellent delivery of customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers; demonstrates ability to establish and maintain highly effective professional relationships with physicians.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of patients, employees, and hpsital information at all times
- Acts as effective change agent
- Strong assessment, organizational and problem solving skills as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
- Ability to function independently and exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional healthcare team and patients and their families.
- Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.