Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital
4401 Garth Rd
Baytown, TX 77521
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: March 29, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) position is responsible for the knowledge and skills necessary to provide nursing care appropriate to the patient population served, including EKGs, vaccinations, health screenings, etc., as applicable and is a directed scope of practice which requires appropriate supervision of a registered nurse, advanced practice registered nurse (RN), physician assistant, or physician. This position provides wellness and nursing care to patients in an organized and effective manner under the guidance and supervision of a Physician or an experienced RN. The LVN position communicates and collaborates with the physicians and interprofessional health care team to facilitate, coordinate and maintain compassionate, efficient, quality care and achievement of desired treatment outcomes. This position demonstrates clinical competence when providing care, using technology, administering medications, and performing procedures, acting as a patient and family advocate in order to monitor and maintain patient rights.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Involves the patient, family, and/or significant others in patient care and patient teaching. Establishes a relationship with patients, families and the interprofessional health care team to collaborate on the plan of care by using progressive skills in therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching. (EF)
- Contributes to teamwork by consistently offering assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Seeks guidance as needed when performing nursing skills by utilizing resource persons, policy and procedure manuals, or other references on standards of care, when appropriate, and applies feedback to improve patient outcomes. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for metrics, turnover/retention/employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document and uses a systematic problem-solving process in the care of multiple patients with predictable health care needs to provide individualized, goal-directed nursing care. (EF)
- Participates in implementing the plan of care by collaborating with interprofessional team members and with the patient's family. Assists with exams and treatment, and maintenance of medical records. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns, utilizing appropriate resources, coordinating with the interprofessional team to facilitate a holistic and goal-oriented approach to care across the continuum that meets the patient's physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs. (EF)
- Contributes towards improving department score for patient satisfaction. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Follows the standards related to regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Provides care for assigned patients under the supervision of an RN, physician or advanced practitioner. Reports accurate and pertinent information related to the patient and the plan of care to appropriate persons. (EF)
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to an RN to achieve desired outcomes. Escalates immediately to an RN and collaborates for appropriate action in emergent patient situations. (EF)
- Performs drug accountability and maintains inventory of related supplies in appropriate areas. Accurately documents in the electronic medical record by collecting objective and subjective data, including any population-specific needs. (EF)
- Contributes to identification of improvement activities, impacting quality and safety targets, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, etc. Supports initiatives to prevent conditions such as pressure injuries, patient falls and hospital-acquired infections. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Displays self-motivation to independently manage time effectively, timely document care, minimize incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Uses resources effectively and efficiently. (EF)
- Identifies cost saving or revenue generating opportunities, as appropriate. Contributes towards meeting department financial targets through optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in areas for innovation, efficiency and improvement in patient care or department operations using evidence-based practice literature. Embraces and enacts new care pathways or service line activity implementation to improve service to patients. (EF)
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Pursues educational opportunities for professional growth and benefits the department through knowledge dissemination. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- One-year experience as an LVN preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas LVN license, or, if temporary license, should obtain permanent license within 75 days
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Performs all skills, functions, and responsibilities of a Licensed Vocational Nurse with a high degree of confidence and expertise
- Demonstrates responsibility for continued competence in nursing practice, and develops insight through reflection, self-analysis, self-care, and lifelong learning
- Follows the Texas Nursing Practice Act (NPA) and the Board's Rules and Regulations definition on the legal scope of practice for licensed vocational nurses (LVNs).
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles east of downtown Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 230 operating beds hospital with 15 operating rooms and over 1,700 employees brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.