Work Shift: Days
Work Week: M - F; leadership position
At Houston Methodist, the Manager Case Mgmt./Social Work position is responsible for functional and operational aspects of the Case Mgmt./Social Work Department, an integrated, interprofessional department which supports caregivers to provide the highest quality, most clinically appropriate care to patients and while promoting the most cost-effective utilization of the hospital¿s resources. This position maintains accountability for level of unit performance and results, possessing the ability to interact with corporate and hospital administrators, medical staff, and defined customers related to the Case Mgmt. system. The Manager Case Mgmt./Social Work position is responsible for the Case Mgmt. reporting system to ensure organization priorities are appropriately addressed in all facilities.
The Manager Case Mgmt./Social Work position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that assure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in Case Mgmt./Social Work department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
2. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
3. Facilitates the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
4. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Plans and organizes day-to-day Case Mgmt./Social Work department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the Case Mgmt./Social Work department. (EF)
3. Makes and executes decisions within delegated authority. Surfaces issues to management for resolution as appropriate. Participates in resolving issues outside delegated scope of authority. (EF)
4. Maintains ongoing interactions with physicians and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided. Manages administrative issues effectively, informs and provides pertinent information to physicians. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the Case Mgmt./Social Work department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines, including infection control principles. Monitors and confirms staff maintain their required credentials that demonstrate competency per accrediting agency or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
3. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses and/or adverse events immediately and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as LEAN principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
4. Monitors self and employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
5. Supports maximization of Case Mgmt. system utilization, including length of stay (LOS), readmissions, etc. Recommends appropriate uses for the Case Mgmt. system, coordinating initial training for new users and ongoing training department staff of system upgrades, changes, and new functions as necessary. Collaborates with management and/or staff, Information Technology (IT) personnel, other functional areas, and software vendors as appropriate to determine information needs and ensure timely information updates. Generates reports to identify trends and opportunities for process improvement. Develops audit reports to identify quality issues and areas for enhanced staff training. Evaluates department procedures and operations as they relate to information technology and recommends changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness as appropriate. (EF)
6. Provides leadership to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency of retrospective utilization management and medical claims functions to meet and exceed service-level goals and contract requirements. Oversees the quality assurance and quality improvement processes related to retrospective UM and medical claims programs. Collaborates with medical and clinical leadership to implement new processes for enhancing service levels. (EF)
7. Proactively identifies case management and/or social work interventions and implements strategies to improve care coordination metrics (LOS reduction, discharges before 11am, readmission reduction, etc.). (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
1. Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the Case Mgmt. /Social Work department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Manages utilization management (UM) programs including Medical Claims Review, Precertification and Reconsiderations and Appeals. Collaborates with the Director of Case Management/Social Work on criteria and policy and procedure development. Collaborates with Physician and Nursing leaders and external entities to develop, implement and evaluate UM programs and policies as directed and ensures UM programs are consistent with national accreditation guidelines. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed shared governance activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
2. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
3. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
4. Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW)
- Masters in Nursing preferred
- Five years of experience in inpatient case management, social work or utilization management department or in the managed care/payer environment, of which one (1) year must have been in a managerial role in healthcare
CERTIFICATION, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) license in State of Texas
- Certification approved by National Association of Social Workers (NASW), or Commission for Case Management (CCM) or American Case Management Association (ACMA), i.e. Certified Case Manager (CCM), American Case Management Association - Accredited Case Manager (ACMA-ACM), National Board for Case Management - Accredited Case Manager (NBCM-ACM)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Excellent analytical skills
o Advanced negotiation and mediation skills
o Advanced time management and prioritization skills
o Expert collaboration skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.