Category: Leadership Management
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, the Manager Human Resources (HR) position is responsible for human resources operations by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling and developing staff. This position engages in planning, monitoring performance management and reviewing staff contributions to drive strategies related to productivity, quality and customer service. The Manager HR position designs systems and resources to meet these strategies, to resolve problems and to implement change. This position upholds or adheres to all HR policies and compliance standards as outlined by accrediting or regulatory body.
The Manager HR position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that assure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
1. Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the Human Resources department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
2. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
3. Facilitates the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
4. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
SERVICE - 25 %
1. Plans and organizes day-to-day Human Resources department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the Human Resources department. (EF)
3. Partners with Corporate HR (Compensation, Talent Acquisition, Benefits, Payroll, Organizational Development (OD) and Learning, HR Client Services and Performance Management) as required to deliver exceptional service and results to the organization. (EF)
4. Provides flawless delivery of HR services by aligning HR Systems, Processes, and Structure to increase consistency of practices. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the Human Resources department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. (EF)
2. Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
3. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
4. Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
FINANCE - 10 %
1. Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the Human Resources department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
2. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
3. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
4. Integrate diversity and inclusion strategies into business plans to ensure an inclusive approach to employees and that align with those we serve. (EF)
5. Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor's degree
o Five years experience with at least two years functioning at a senior level
o Must meet the minimum years of experience required by the senior-most role that reports to the position
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) designation preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243 licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Manager - Human Resources
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, the Manager Human Resources (HR) position is responsible for human resources operations ...
Vice President of Operations
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, the Vice President of Operations is responsible for multiple departments assigned by ...
Director of Finance
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryThis position exists to ensure the timely and accurate reporting of financial information for the Hospital under the ...