At Houston Methodist, the Manager of assigned Information Technology (IT) department position is responsible for effectively managing the IT applications and support functions for clinical or business systems. The manager effectively manages business work flow analysis, system definition, design, acquisition and implementation of new and modified systems for assigned departments. Manages vendor activities in conformance to contracts. Manages outside consultants and contractors who assist with implementation and support activities. Ensures that annual goals and objectives are met.
The manager position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that assure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in assigned IT department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
- Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
- Facilitates the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Plans and organizes day-to-day assigned IT department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
- Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the assigned department. (EF)
- Develops strong collaboration with key customers and effectively manages difficult conversations. (EF)
- Maintains solid relationships with business area leaders to ensure effective planning and scheduling of initiatives. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the assigned IT department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. (EF)
- Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
- Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
- Establishes, maintains and enforces departmental and application documentation and change control processes for system management. Ensures up to date and accurate disaster recovery plans. (EF)
- Ensures timely issues resolution and effective communication among all stakeholders.
FINANCE - 20%
- Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the assigned department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Manages vendor software and service contracts, ensures conformance to contract procedures. Evaluates associated expense and recommends appropriate actions. Maintains up to date knowledge of all contracts and vendor agreements for assigned department(s) and manages to terms. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
- Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
- Stays up to date on industry trends and customer needs in terms of vendor products and service delivery. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Business Administration or relevant field required
- Eight years' experience in information technology or related operations. Three years experience must be in information technology
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- System development or configuration experience
- Experience leading teams
- Healthcare IT experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
- Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
- Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
- Ability to effectively apply project management processes
- Understanding of clinical or business systems and workflows
- Understanding of application customer experience
- Advanced critical thinking skills and ability to creatively solve complex problems
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||Yes |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.