At Houston Methodist, the Manager Advance Practice Providers position is responsible for quality, functional excellence and contribution of the department's output to the accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives of Houston Methodist (HM). This position provides strategic direction for nursing and business operations consistent with the company's mission and values. The Manager NP/PA position serves as liaison to the Medical Staff, Hospital Leadership Team, Administration and Nursing Leadership as well as functions as a clinical NP/PA maintaining a patient assignment, as appropriate, credentialed as an NP or PA through the HM Medical Staff services.
The manager position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that assure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
Employees in this job code are assigned to the night shift as part of their regular schedule.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in NP/PA department. Provides continuous employee assessment, development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
- Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees at designated intervals and as required, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
- Facilitates the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. Establishes and maintains open communication channels with other departments, units, and physician groups. Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Plans and organizes day-to-day NP/PA department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
- Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the NP/PA department, disseminating necessary information to staff. (EF)
- Assesses the need for NP/PA staff development programs, and assists with development, implementation and evaluation of programs. (EF)
- Provides collaboration and cooperation with other Houston Methodist (HM) hospitals regarding HM initiatives and implementation of NP/PA services. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the NP/PA department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines, including infection control principles. Monitors and confirms staff maintain their required credentials that demonstrate competency per accrediting agency or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
- Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
- Provides safe and effective care, including benchmarking for NP/PA practice, by leading and initiating areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations, outcome, quality and patient safety improvement activities in alignment with organizational goals, i.e. LOS, CLABSI/CAUTI rates/goals, etc. Integrates, modifies, and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols by overseeing unit projects, shared governance activities or interprofessional team activities. (EF)
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses and/or adverse events immediately and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
- Monitors self and employee compliance to policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
- Responsible for outcome metrics and patient satisfaction scores for all service lines on department scorecard. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the NP/PA department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
- Creates, monitors and implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, timely documentation of care, decreasing length of stay, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Allocates resources based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills; creates and manages unit plans for resource utilization and capital needs. Identifies and implements cost savings or revenue opportunities. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed shared governance activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
- Provides visionary leadership for NP/PA Programs with development of new programs. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
- Ensures staff conduct quality health care by initiating, applying and presenting research in collaboration with the Education Department, Research and Evidenced Based Practice Council, nursing, physician assistant or medical schools as appropriate. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. Contributes to professional practice standards at hospital/regional/national level. (EF)
- Provides leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consultant, and patient advocate by serving as an instructor in continuing education, formal program, or expert consultation. Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of staff; coaches/mentors individuals to accomplishment of goals. Identifies, plans, and implements education for the unit and service line in collaboration with team members and NP/PA service leadership. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action, ensuring staff are meeting evidence-based guidelines. Conducts own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Actively seeks out and participates in publishing opportunities. Contributes to professional practice standards at hospital/regional/national level. Maintains personal professional development through organization membership, attendance at workshops and other educational programs, to ensure awareness of current developments and trends in NP/PA practice. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Master's degree in Nursing for Nurse Practitioners or from accredited Physician Assistant program by National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Five years clinical experience of which includes three years as a Nurse Practitioner or Physican Assistant
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Licensed and Credentialed by the Texas Board of Physician Assistants or Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, must obtain permanent license within 90 days
- Recognized and licensed as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN) in the State of Texas
- Certified by American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, based on applicable patient population, i.e. Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP), Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP), Acute Care Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (ACNPC-AG)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- American Heart Association Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration within 6 months of hire
- American Heart Association Heartcode Pediatric Life Support (PALS) within 6 months of hire preferred
- Fundamentals of Critical Care Support (FCCS) certification within 6 months of hire preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
- Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
- Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
|Other (dept. approved)||Yes|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a limited basis (for Exempt jobs only)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area’s only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 226 operating beds, with 15 operating rooms and more than 1,700 employees. The hospital brings Texas Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.