Category: Laboratory Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: July 18, 2019
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: This position will work Monday - Friday from 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. with rotating weekends
JOB SUMMARY: The Medical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for performing both routine and complex analyses, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship. Exercises good judgment by using critical thinking skills and deals with issue resolution concerning the day-to-day technical operation of the laboratory. Ensures that specimens are accessioned and processed expeditiously in order to deliver quality laboratory results in an effective and cost efficient manner.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
2. Teaches students, new employees and others as assigned by Manager.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Organizes workload and sets priorities. Utilizes all available work time by assisting others and performing additional tasks.
2. Meets turnaround time expectations as defined by management.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
1. Performs the six elements of competency for test systems used to generate patient test results in all areas assigned to work.
2. Recognizes, investigates and correctly resolves test discrepancies. When problems arise, takes appropriate action to investigate and address and notifies management for follow-up.
3. Maintains a safe environment within the Laboratory, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous materials, security and emergency preparedness.
FINANCE - 5%
1. Adjusts work schedule to accommodate departmental/organizational needs. Appropriately utilizes the time recording system.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Restocks section inventory levels as needed.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED to perform the Essential Functions of the Job:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: AS NEEDEDWork Week: This position will work day, evening or night shifts during weekdays & weekends as neededJob SummaryJOB SUMMARY: The Medical Laboratory ...
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: AS NEEDEDWork Week: Job SummaryJOB SUMMARY: The Phlebotomist II performs phlebotomy and other specialized specimen collection procedures for patients both in in-patient and ...
Phlebotomist II - Evenings
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: EVENING - WED - SAT 12PM - 10:30PM SUN - TUE - 11AM - 11PM Work Week: EVENING - WED - SAT 12PM ...