Work Shift: AS NEEDED
Work Week: Will work as needed during weekends, weekdays and holidays
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for performing both simple and complex analyses, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship. Exercises good judgment by using critical thinking skills and deals with issue resolution concerning the day-to-day technical operation of the laboratory. Insures that specimens are accessioned and processed expeditiously in order to deliver quality laboratory results in an effective and cost efficient manner.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole.
2. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
3. Demonstrates Customer Service standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
1. Performs and interprets analyses offered by the laboratory accurately and efficiently according to established procedures
2. Able to perform phlebotomy if necessary
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed
4. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines
5. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated
2. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action
3. Facilitates problem resolution
4. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
1. Assists in training new employees as assigned by Coordinator / Manager / Director
1. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures
2. Facilitates problem resolution
3. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow
Must have a baccalaureate degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Technology program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MT(ASCP) exam
Must be board eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the registry exam within one calendar year from date of hire
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Knowledge of the functional discipline of the work area
2. Knowledge of work area processes and procedures
3. Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
4. Skill in verbal and written communication
5. Skill in planning and organizing the work area
6. Ability to analyze and solve both simple and complex problems
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: M - FJob SummaryIn an outpatient and inpatient setting, performs phlebotomy, and other specialized specimen collection procedures for patients. Proactively and ...
Research Assistant I - RNAcore
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryApril 2017JOB SUMMARYThe Research Assistant I is responsible for utilizing skills to provide technical research laboratory support in ...
Graduate Research Fellow Stipend - Regeneration
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1. Develops research methods and performs research activities. 2. Documents research results and writes reports ...