Category: Nursing Assistant
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Oct. 22, 2019
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Varies, to include weekends and Holidays
At Houston Methodist, the Mental Health Technician/Assistant (MHT/Asst) position demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to communicate effectively and carry out delegated tasks for population-specific patients. This position functions under the guidance and supervision of the registered nurse in meeting the physiological and psychosocial needs of the patient. The MHT/Asst position records data and performs treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures and reports observations and patient problems to the nurse and utilizes therapeutic communication techniques. Overseeing multiple priorities, the MHT/Asst position must be able to perform the duties and functions of a Unit Administrative Assistant position and/or Patient Care Assistant position. This position may involve travel to conduct home visits. Other duties for the MHT/Asst position include serving as a mentor to MHT's, utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Interacts with peers, staff and visitors in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. (EF)
2. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner, facilitating treatment goals for the patient. (EF)
3. Demonstrates teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance to obtain optimal department results. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
4. Serves as a Preceptor for new hires to the department or ED float staff. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
1. Performs and assists with patient care activities of daily living (ADLs), such as elimination, hygiene, nutrition, and progress activity under the direction of a registered nurse. Performs and records diagnostic measurements as determined by skills training and validation. Assists with group facilitation, performs treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies. (EF)
2. Responds to the phone and call light systems, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs, responding appropriately to patient behaviors. Assists with transporting of patients. (EF)
3. Records care administered according to established procedures. Performs clerical duties including maintaining and accurately processing and updating unit and patient records, e.g., transcription of physicians orders, discharge disposition codes, computer data entries, kardexes, medical records, identifications labels, patients valuable, etc. (EF)
4. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves and manages multiple ongoing priorities, with minimal supervision. Contributes towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Performs treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. Displays the ability to recognize physical and mental deviations in a patient¿s condition and reports finding to the registered nurse. (EF)
2. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
3. Assists with maintaining and cleaning of equipment and supplies. Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
1. Coordinates scheduling of appointments with the healthcare team and other departments to achieve cost-effective and positive patient outcomes. Maintains and accurately processes records, when applicable. (EF)
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, conscientious of how time is used. Contributes towards department financial targets on unit-based scorecard through timely documentation of care, minimizing incidental overtime, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Contributes in the development of department schedules or other assigned department projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
2. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. Participate in critical thinking scenarios. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Three (3) years of experience as a Mental Health Technician in a psychiatric/substance abuse setting with specialized training and previous experience in crisis intervention and prevention in a hospital setting
o Must have one of the following:
If certified as a CNA or CMA, then minimum two (2) years acute care hospital experience.
If not certified, then minimum three (3) years Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant experience or two years of secretarial/office or college/vocational training
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Heart Association BLS
o Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (if certificate is not Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI, 30 days to complete, post date of hire)
o CPI Instructor preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates knowledge/skill in group facilitation
o Demonstrates solid knowledge of court processes for detaining patients
o Displays strong time management skills
o Demonstrates ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system to support the department and interprofessional health care team as appropriate
o Demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of hospital database
o Possesses basic computer knowledge. Operates multiple computer systems including electronic health records, i.e., Epic, and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, & Excel) to maintain patient information
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
Patient Care Assistant
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: Three 12 hour shifts with weekends and holidaysJob Summary07/2019JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) Specialist position, under the ...
Patient Care Assistant - Med/Surg Full-Time Days
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: 7A - 7PWork Week: Full TimeJob Summary07/2019JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant/Unit Administrative Assistant (PCA/UAA) position performs key functions that support ...
Patient Care Assistant (PCA)-Neuro ICU-Night Shift
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: Variable scheduling with alternating weekends and holidaysJob Summary07/2019JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) position functions as novice to ...