Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: varied
The Mental Health Technician II demonstrates advanced knowledge and skills necessary to communicate effectively and carry out additional delegated tasks for psychiatric patients. He/she functions under the guidance and supervision of the registered nurse in meeting the physiological and psychosocial needs of the patient. He/she records data and performs treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. He/she utilizes therapeutic communication techniques.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Establishes, maintains and terminates therapeutic relationships with patients by using therapeutic communication techniques.
2. Follows the nursing care plan directives for delivery of patient care.
3. Responds appropriately to patient behaviors.
4. Recognizes physiological and psycho-social needs of the patient.
5. Recognizes patient care priorities and reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse.
6. Performs treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures. a. Housewide skills b. Unit specific skills c. High-risk/low frequency/waived test skills d. Completes compe10cies listed on MHT II orientation checklist.
7. Maintains patient confidentiality. Job Description Mental Health Technician II Page 2
8. Records care administered according to established procedures.
9. Maintains a clean and organized environment.
10. Develops, Facilitates patient educational and patient informational groups. Demonstrates knowledge/skill in group facilitation.
11. Utilizes Relationship Centered Care principles (partner with the patient/family, greet and introduce self, make eye contact and smile, lis10 and respond with empathy, display appropriate body language at all times, and use a pleasant t1 of voice) to enhance patient/customer satisfaction.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13. Serves as a resource to MHT 1s , precepts MHT new hires in conjunction with Recruitment, Re10tion and Development Council.
14. Coordinates patient milieu,
15. In Collaboration with Recruitment, Re10tion and Development Council identifies, plans and facilitates MHT staff development.
16. Serves as the unit level champions for AIDET.
17. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Must be 18 years of age or older and have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 2 years of college in a related field, 3 year of previous experience as a Mental Health Technician in a psychiatric/substance abuse setting or specialized training and experience in crisis intervention and prevention in a hospital setting is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Crisis Prevention certification needed.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Monitor Technician Days
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: DaysWork Week: PRNJob SummaryJob SummaryPRN position for a Monitor Tech to work as needed SUMMARY: The Monitor Technician performs key functions that support ...
Monitor Technician Nights
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: PRNJob SummaryJob SummaryPRN position for a Monitor Tech to work as needed SUMMARY: The Monitor Technician performs key functions that support ...
Patient Care Assistant - Float Pool
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: variesJob Summary01/2012SUMMARY: The Patient Care Assistant works in partnership with the licensed nurse to support the delivery of care in an ...