Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital
The Woodlands, TX 77385
Category: Imaging Services
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: March 30, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the MRI Technologist II position is responsible for a variety of routine to complex diagnostic MRI procedures to include common and special MRI exams of high difficulty. This position is a member of the direct patient care team and is fully competent in all aspects of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. The MRI Technologist II position serves as a mentor to MRI Technologist I and students by utilizing skills and knowledge to help train and educate others. This position works independently by exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. The MRI Technologist II position provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic and special MRI procedures. This position delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to MRI exam standards and guidelines established by governing agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Guides and mentors MRI Technologist I and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards department goals for retention and employee engagement. (EF)
- Facilitates open, professional (verbal, nonverbal, written) communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional, providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs diagnostic MRI procedures to include common and special MRI exams. MRI exams use magnetism, radio waves, and a computer to produce images of body structures and gives insight on the chemical makeup of tissues. (EF)
- Proactively assesses, identifies and responds to the needs of the patient for adjustment or intervention to optimize patient care, image quality and patient experience. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications and limitations associated with certain procedures. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special MRI procedures, including assisting with sterile technique. (EF)
- Provides accurate explanations and instructions to patients and family members at an appropriate level utilizing verbal and non-verbal skills, terminology and language. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with MRI safety and infection control procedures. Complies with job role, department and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into appropriate hospital patient safety reporting system to improve processes and identify trends. Utilizes critical thinking skills to observe and proactively address patient reactions (i.e. contrast media and medications) or potential outcomes, as appropriate. (EF)
- Ensures all imaging equipment has had quality control (QC) performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventative maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of department based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Actively participates in special projects, department initiatives or shared governance activities and seeks opportunities to expand learning with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis.(EF)
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers (MRI Technologist I) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Three years' experience as a MRI Technologist
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Registry thru ARRT (ARRT (MR)) or American Registry ofMagnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist (ARMRIT) or CAMRT
- American Heart Association BLS required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving.
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||Yes |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, a master planned campus with a 400 bed hospital – initially opening 187 beds – will ensure that we continue to deliver our special brand of health care to those who call The Woodlands home. As the eighth hospital in the Houston Methodist system, Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital is a full service hospital building upon our rich history of clinical excellence in the Texas Medical Center.