Respiratory Care Practitioner
4401 Garth Rd
Baytown, TX 77521
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Respiratory Therapists
- Job Shift:
- 3rd - Night
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 28, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) position is responsible for performing routine respiratory care procedures as assigned, varying in complexity which include, but are not limited to, preparation, administration and monitoring of medication and treatment modalities and gas therapy, ventilator support, spirometry and assistance with bronchoscopy. This position may perform diagnostic testing of the cardiac respiratory system, as appropriate. As a member of the direct patient care team, the RCP position provides direct assistance to physicians and other care health professionals, with respiratory care-related procedures within the scope of the professional licensure. This position delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to standards and guidelines established by respiratory and regulatory agencies and Houston Methodist to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by using progressive skills in therapeutic communication and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner, which includes active listening and teaching. (EF)
- Communicates effectively with others to facilitate providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
- Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Serves as a patient advocate in preventing/resolving ethical issues. Facilitates interventions to relieve the patient's/family spiritual distress. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs respiratory care to include but not limited to: arterial blood gas and analysis, pulse oximetry, spirometry and flow volume loops, lung volume determination, airway resistance measurement, breath diffusion capacity, bronchoprovocation testing, maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures, bronchodilator administration, diagnostic radiology procedures. Prepares, administers and monitors treatment modalities and medication delivery. Implements, monitors and evaluates ventilator support. (EF)
- Performs other procedures and tests as needed and if assigned, such as Electrocardiograms, Holter's, and Arterial Blood Gas. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various respiratory care concepts to maximize performance, which includes positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability to contribute towards improving department score for patient satisfaction. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Troubleshoots, calibrates and performs preventive maintenance and quality control on all equipment and analyzers per department guidelines, documenting activities. Assembles, prepares, cleans and operates bronchoscopy equipment, monitoring equipment and accessories in accordance with manufacturing recommendations and department guidelines. Reports malfunctions. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians, performing tests as ordered, assessing and assuring quality, acceptability and reliability of results; takes corrective action and involves others as needed toward achievement of this end. (EF)
- Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and to meet department and hospital targets for quality and safety, focusing on the task at hand and reporting near misses, and inputing errors promptly into Patient Safety Net to improve processes and identify trends. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Accurately documents all patient care and respiratory-related activities and procedures in the appropriate documentation system. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in practice projects focused on innovation, efficiency or improvement in patient care and activities. Embraces and enacts new care pathways or service line implementation to improve service to the community. (EF)
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- No experience required; one year experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Registered as Respiratory Therapist by National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC-RRT)
- Licensed as Respiratory Care Practitioner by the Texas Medical Board (TMB-RCP)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) within 90 days of hire. Current incumbents have one year to obtain from effective date of job description
- American Heart Association Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)*
- American Heart Association Pediatric Life Support (PALS)*
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Demonstrates time management skills
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
|Other (dept approved)||Yes|
|On-Call*||Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area’s only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 226 operating beds, with 15 operating rooms and more than 1,700 employees. The hospital brings Texas Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is currently seeking a full-time Structural Cardiologist to join our well established, thriving and dynamic team. Houston Methodist The Woodlands campus is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of a growing community. The successful candidate must be committed to providing unparalleled patient care with expertise …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Director Community Benefits position is responsible for supporting hospital system maintenance of nonprofit status within federal and state regulations of charity care laws and designing and managing programs designed to enhance the institution’s reputation as a socially responsible corporate citizen within the health care industry. …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services (EVS) Representative position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. This position performs a variety of general cleaning tasks in assigned areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff in accordance with department standards.