Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: M - F
The Staff Pharmacist I is responsible for providing day-to-day comprehensive, patient oriented, pharmacy services in any or all areas of the department. This includes processing orders, therapy review, and education to patients and other members of the direct patient care team. Collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patients drug therapies for effectiveness and overall safety. Responsible for oversight of pharmacy technicians and students and may serve as a preceptor, ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of pharmaceuticals. Contributes to fulfilling the departments mission by collaborating to provide innovative, personalized, cost effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
2. Guides and mentors pharmacy technicians and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. In the absence of Staff Pharmacist IIs or other higher level, serves as a coordinator for the shift overseeing and leading activities of technicians and other support staff.
1. Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patients diagnosis, allergies, height and weight.(EF)
2. Monitors workload fluctuations and work output of pharmacy technician(s), adjusting assignments as appropriate to ensure accurate and timely delivery of medications to patient care areas. (EF)
3. Conducts proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, providing drug information, patient counseling, and management of pharmacist based dosing protocols, collaborating with other health care staff for problem resolution for the achievement of patient specific goals. (EF)
1. Collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patients drug therapy for effectiveness, side effects, adverse drug reactions, toxicities, drug interactions, and incompatibilities following guidelines for formulary management and clinical intervention tools in the achievement of patient specific goals. Documents patient care activities and patient outcomes as impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
2. Participates in departmental quality management activities, i.e. medication use evaluations, adverse drug reactions and medication error reporting, clinical interventions, medication center reviews, and inventory management documentation and reporting.
1. Manages inventory to minimize waste and expired drugs in the work area as well as uses ones resources effectively and efficiently. (EF)
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
1. Participates in inter- and intra-departmental activities including in-services, article publication/presentation, preceptorship, and additional training. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Staff Pharmacist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor of Science or Doctor of Pharmacy degree
0 experience; some experience in a hospital setting highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
American Heart Association BLS within 90 days of employment
Texas Pharmacist Preceptor Certification within 15 months of hire
Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers; capable of assuming responsibility for coordinating the activities of a major pharmacy service area
Demonstrates the knowledge of basic principles regarding rational drug therapy, including but not limited to, professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization, and distribution of drugs and drug information and apply these to all patient groups, neonate to geriatric
Experience with comprehensive pharmacy services including unit-dose drug distribution, intravenous admixture preparation, nutrition support services, and target drug monitoring
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Staff Pharmacist II (Days)
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: PRNWork Week: VariesHouston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. ...
Pharmacy Clinical Specialist I
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARY The Clinical Specialist I performs fundamental clinical pharmacy duties enabling the delivery of optimal pharmacotherapy to ...
Pharmacy Technician II (Evenings)
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: VariesHouston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. ...