Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: varies
The Nurse Education Specialist II is responsible for the development, coordination, implementation, evaluation and revision of programs aimed at orientation, competency validation, and ongoing development of professional nurses and non-professional staff across the institution and for assigned units/departments on a 24 hour basis. The NES II serves as a role model, a clinical consultant and resource, and an educator of staff and/or patients and families. Competency is maintained in the utilization of adult learning theory, curriculum development and evaluation, competency assessment, age specific knowledge of populations in assigned areas, selected high risk/low frequency/mandatory waived testing skills and the use of educational technology, including simulation.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Young Adult, Middle Adult, Mature Adult
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborating with clinical and management staff, coordinates consistent education for staff nurses, including orientation, competency validation, and professional development for assigned units and to meet Nursing¿s strategic initiatives. (EF)
2. Collaborating with clinical and management staff, assesses educational and professional needs within assigned units on an ongoing basis utilizing unit metrics, nursing dashboards, interdisciplinary rounds, scorecards, accreditation recommendations, patient satisfaction scores, nursing satisfaction scores, and staff surveys. Participates in the assessment of institutional educational needs across units/departments. (EF)
3. Designs, implements, and evaluates programs to meet the identified needs using current curriculum development and evaluation strategies, current instructional technology, and adult learning theory to provide consistency, assure clinical competency of staff with respect to new technology or practice improvements, and support patient safety and the delivery of quality clinical services. (EF)
4. Designs methods to track the overall development of nursing staff in assigned areas. (EF)
5. Functions directly and indirectly as a clinical resource/consultant for patient care delivery by working with staff, management, patients/families, and/or other groups as applicable. Makes recommendations based on the patient's status, safety, age, and growth and developmental needs. Directly intervenes or makes recommendations to meet the needs of staff and/or patient/families and facilitates multi disciplinary planning as needed to ensure patient safety and quality care. (EF)
6. Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of standards of nursing care that affect nursing practice in specialty areas, as assigned. Develops proposals for implementation of new programs, projects, and/or nursing research. (EF)
7. Identifies unique and creative ways to assure accessibility and availability of clinical education programs to staff on all shifts and in all areas, identifying ways to provide learning experiences, evaluate learning, and assesses performance and competency, that are evidenced based, cost effective, and feasible for implementation in the clinical setting. (EF)
8. Provides consultation services to health care providers and patients/families within specialty areas, as assigned. (EF)
9. Participates in research activities and conducts evidenced based practice projects as indicated by the population served and staff and unit/department needs. (EF)
10. Participates in strategic planning for the department and nursing services. (EF)
11. Coordinates and/or teaches in existing educational programs and revises or participates in the revision of these programs as indicated. (EF)
12. Completes section and department reports and submits them as scheduled. (EF)
13. Coordinates, maintains, and submits as indicated all program records in a timely fashion. (EF)
14. Maintains and updates own professional knowledge base and clinical skills.
15. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
16. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
17. Is knowledgeable of and follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
18. Supports departmental activities and performs other job related duties, as assigned.
Bachelor's and Master's degree required, one of which must be in nursing. Master's degree may be in health or education field.
Minimum of 3 years clinical experience in specialty area. Minimum of two years in education, staff development, or program development preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current RN Texas licensure required
Certification in specialty area required and certification in staff development or nursing education is preferred.
Graduation from a specialty program required for selected positions (e.g. Wound and Ostomy)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Able to build evidence-based practice into the clinical setting.
2. Demonstrates ability to independently manage programs, staff, and large-scale projects.
3. Demonstrates ability to plan, organize, and follow through on assignments and/or projects.
4. Demonstrates leadership abilities, including collaborative, consultative and coaching skills.
5. Demonstrates interpersonal skills and highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
6. Able to speak and write English fluently
7. Able to speak in public, engage an audience, and utilize adult learning theory
8. Must have a working knowledge of Powerpoint, Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of current educational technologies
See attached ADA checklist
General office, classroom, conference, and simulation lab areas. Clinical nursing unit specific to assigned area(s). Flexibility required up to and including occasional weekends and/or shift work. Physical requirements may include lifting, transporting, and transferring patients/equipment. May include significant exposure to latex. Adherence to body substance isolation practices is required.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Registered Nurse (RN II) Psychiatry Nights $10,000 Sign on Bonus
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: variedJob SummaryThe RN II is a staff nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage of Benner’s model ...
Registered Nurse (RN) II - Stroke Unit - $10,000 Sign On and Referral Bonus
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: VariesJob Summary*NOTE: This position is located in the Stroke Unit.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1. LEADERSHIPa. Provides care to increasingly complex patients and ...
Occupational Health Nurse - Employee Health
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: DAY - PRNWork Week: M - F- PRN Also on the $380 million hospital campus, located at the intersection of I-45 and TX ...