Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: PRN - as needed
Functions as a clinical provider in various areas including but not limited to designated transitional care or step down intermediate care units or intensive care units, intermediate care units and emergency response teams while maintaining and promoting the health of the patient requiring acute care. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and The Houston Methodist Standards of Nursing Care policies and procedures.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consult, and patient advocate.
2. Serves as preceptor for Nurse Practitioner students and medical resident(s).
1. Manages schedule and staffing for assigned service lines.
2. Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care from unit admission to unit discharge, under physician supervision, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes individualized to the patient.
3. Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers. Rounds with physicians/surgeons and attends interdisciplinary rounds.
4. Conducts comprehensive health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge), identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations(s).
5. Performs delegated functions under physician supervision, such as differential diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders.
6. Accepts accountability for outcomes in health care.
7. Performs invasive diagnostic or therapeutic procedures necessary for defined patient population(s).
8. Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act. Collaborates with healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care.
1. Initiates outcome and quality improvement activities including benchmarking for NP practice.
2. Maintains current licensure and credentials. Remains current in practice
3. Follows all safety rules and policies and attends all required training in a timely manner. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with staff and management regarding any hazards in the workplace.
1. Measures and analyzes resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills; contributes to unit plans for resource utilization and capital needs.
2. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard.
1. Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research activities.
2. Participates in professional activities such as research, presentations, and publications.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Master's Degree in Nursing
Three (3) years of clinical nursing experience
Three (3) years in Advanced Practice role preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Texas license
Recognized by the Texas Board of Nursing as a Nurse Practitioner
Certified by ANCC or AANP as a Nurse Practitioner
American Heart Association BLS
Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
American Heart Association ACLS and PALS must be obtained within 6 months of hire
Fundamental Critical Care Support (FCCS) training through the Society of Critical Care Medicine must be obtained within 6 months of hire
Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration must be obtained within 6 months of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Must be able to communicate effectively in English
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Full TimeJob SummaryFunctions as a clinical provider in various areas including but not limited to designated transitional care or step down ...
Nurse Practioner II
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary(Full-time, Days) West HoustonSUMMARY: Functions as a clinical provider in various areas including but not limited to intensive ...
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Neurosurgery
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary09/2016SUMMARY: The Nurse Practitioner functions as a primary care provider maintaining and promoting the health of the patient. ...