Advanced Practice Provider - Primary Care (League City)
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Nurse Practitioner
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 13, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Advanced Practice Provider – Primary Care position is responsible for maintaining and promoting the health of the patient requiring primary care, while practicing medicine under the supervision of a licensed physician. This position will provide diagnostic, therapeutic and preventative care to primary care patients. The Advanced Practice Provider – Primary Care position may conduct physicals, order tests and therapy, prescribe medications, and refer to specialists when appropriate. This position works in an outpatient primary care setting and may perform independently under the indirect supervision of a license physician or as part of a treatment team. The Advanced Practice Provider – Primary Care position may be either a license Nurse Practitioner or licensed Physician Assistant. NP positions effect direct patient care according to the Board of Nursing in the State of Texas and Houston Methodist policies and procedures. PA positions effect direct patient care according to the Board of Physician Assistants in the State of Texas and Houston Methodist policies and procedures.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Demonstrates leadership as a clinical resource, interprofessional consultant, and patient/family advocate. Identifies staff development opportunities for professional growth of colleagues, provides coaching to meet identified goals. (EF)
- Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Acts as a role model and coaches staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication.
- Communicates organizational information and aspects of administrative and clinical practice in a respectful and positive manner when interacting with staff. Advocates for a balanced workload, promotes positive behaviors, and peer-to-peer accountability, improvement of department score for employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care under physician supervisor, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes, individualized to the patient. Prioritizes care based on the patient’s needs, abilities and preferences (EF)
- Collaborates with interprofessional team members to manage/coordinate patient care. (EF)
- Responds and is available timely to patient questions/issues that arise as triaged by clinical staff. Helps drive improvement of department score for patient satisfaction, through peer-to-peer accountability to service standards. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Functions as a quality care provider, coordinating, maintaining, and promoting the health of the patient. Performs functions under physician supervision, such as diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders to ensure patient safety. (EF)
- Conducts health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge, as appropriate), identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, reviews medications and test reports to develop a plan of care, initiate appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient population(s). (EF)
- Assists the interprofessional health care team in the development and implementation of protocols to ensure patient safety. Integrates and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols and leads improvements in patient safety related processes. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial targets and mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, optimizing clinic workflow efficiency, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Performs accurate documentation in medical records, including diagnosis and CPT coding. (EF)
- Projects awareness and understanding of resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills.
- Contributes to department plans for resource utilization and capital needs to meet departmental financial target.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research/evidence-based activities. Leads and identifies opportunities for practice changes and performance improvement. (EF)
- Provides education of information/knowledge in professional activities such as research, presentations, and publications. Expands individual clinical knowledge and coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. Serves as clinical resource.
- Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o For PA: Bachelor of Physician Assistant Studies from accredited Physician Assistant program by National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
o For NP: Master of Science in Nursing
o For PA: One year of advanced practice clinical experience
o For NP: Two years of advanced practice clinical experience
o Two years of advanced practice clinical experience in primary care, family medicine, or outpatient internal medicine preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o For PA: Licensed and credentialed by the Texas Board of Physician Assistants
o For PA: Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C)
o For NP: Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, must obtain permanent license within 90 days
o For NP: Recognized and licensed as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN) in the State of Texas
o For NP: Certified by American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) as a Nurse Practitioner, based on applicable patient population, i.e. Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP), Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (NNP), Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP)
o Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
o Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration within 6 months of hire
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED.
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Use of critical thinking skills and clinical judgement to work autonomously as defined by the Board of Physician Assistants
o Accepts accountability for outcomes in healthcare
o Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients, families, and interprofessional team to collaborate on the plan of care
o Strong organizational and problem-solving skill as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
o Ability to exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team and patients and their families
o Demonstrates proficient time management skills
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
At Houston Methodist Primary Care Group, we have brought together primary care providers to help patients manage their overall health and serve as a crucial member of the health care team. As part of the Houston Methodist system of hospitals, patients have efficient access to specialty and hospital services whenever the need arises. With more than 150 primary care providers at more than 40 locations across Houston, our providers are committed to providing the right care at the right time in convenient locations throughout the Houston area.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …