Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Occupational Therapy
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 25, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Occupational Therapy Fellow completes planned program of post-professional clinical and didactic education provided by HM for occupational therapists that is designed to significantly advance the occupational therapist fellow's preparation as a provider of patient care services in a specific area of specialty clinical practice (acute care). The fellowship program combines opportunities for ongoing clinical supervision and mentoring with a theoretical basis for advanced practice and scientific inquiry in the field of physical rehabilitation in an acute care environment.
The Fellow performs patient management services including evaluation, treatment, and referral, oversees support personnel, and performs related duties such as participation in rounds, departmental performance improvement, and clinical education in accordance with state practice act, applicable regulations, and departmental policy, procedures and practices.
Demonstrates competence to adapt to work and customer service to accommodate the unique physical, psychosocial, cultural, safety and other developmental needs of patients served by the department.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Participates in projects, programs, and action plans to meet departmental goals.(EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Consistently provides education to patient, family and/or caregivers. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Oversees those treatments delegated to OTAs and technicians.(EF)
- Cooperate/collaborate with members of the medical team regarding client's current treatment, progress and discharge planning. (EF)
- Evaluate the patient level of function Develop and implement plan of treatment.(EF)
- Monitor patient progress; maintain timely and accurate patient records. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Complete all patient documentation and enter charges for services provided.(EF)
- Creates appropriate schedule of patients to maximize utilization of time, resources, and equipment. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Presents relevant special topics in professional literature at clinic meetings, rounds, conference, and meetings as delegated or requested by the faculty.(EF)
- Assists in the organization and direction of specific activities of the department as delegated by the Faculty, OT Fellowship Coordinator, Rehab Director (or designed). Such activities may include research projects, departmental improvement projects, or other special tasks. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- New graduates welcome. Prefer Level 2 fieldwork experience (equivalent to 3 month clinical student practicum in an acute care hospital).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Current licensure with the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners OR
- Be a Graduate of an AOTA Accredited Entry-Level Occupational Therapy School who is eligible to sit for OT License Exam with Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners. Must obtain permanent Texas OT licensure within 30 days of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must complete OT Competency Assessment upon hire and on annual basis.
- Demonstrates good computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Work and Excel programs.
- Has knowledge and interest in areas of acute care
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.