Category: RN - Other
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: Jan. 12, 2021
Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: Varies
At Houston Methodist, the Operations Administrator (OA) position is responsible for providing operational oversight and leadership throughout the organization. This position is responsible for leadership in unforeseen situations, making timely decisions that directly impact patient care, fostering interdepartmental/interprofessional collaboration which reflect the mission and values of Houston Methodist. The OA position ensures timely and effective communication and provides clinical guidance in the management of patient care, staffing, and interpreting and implementing established policies and procedures. This position creates an environment for the management and delivery of safe patient care. The OA position demonstrates critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Assigns available personnel, assesses triage assignments and makes appropriate modifications during the shift as necessary. Plans and coordinates staffing needs for the next shift and assesses needs for the following shift. (EF)
2. Role models interprofessional communication, which includes active listening and teaching, communicating organizational information and all aspects of administrative and clinical practice in a respectful and positive way when interacting with staff. (EF)
3. Conducts fair and consistent leadership skills for effective team dynamics and teambuilding strategies through problem resolution and coaching. Supports policy adherence and provides disciplinary measures when appropriate. Assists with staff stress management as needed. (EF)
4. Improves department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
1. Coordinates and expedites the admission/discharge, transfer and bed control process to optimize patient flow. Monitors and facilitates smooth and timely patient flow to ensure process efficiency. Provide bed assignments support as needed with designee. (EF)
2. Oversees the activity in hospital operations during their shift. Manages administrative issues effectively, informs and documents pertinent information to Executive On Call, executive staff, directors and managers (EF)
3. Partners with public relations to manage outside media. (EF)
4. Troubleshoots problems and/or issues regarding patient/family care, visitors, and facility issues on off shifts and weekends. Drives service standards and activities to improve department score for patient satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Monitors and analyzes work methods, staff scheduling and make appropriate adjustments, to assure a high level of service quality and cost effectiveness (EF)
2. Maintains awareness/responsiveness of all emergency codes and disaster preparedness, coordinating when critical situations occur. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Attends daily care coordination rounds to facilitate patient progression. Manages bed closures and staffing allocation/cancellations to optimize efficiencies and reduce overtime. (EF)
2. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs. Mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, decreasing length of stay, optimizing efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime, and other areas as appropriate. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Serves as a mentor/role model and actively participates in hospital quality, service and shared governance councils, making recommendations for improvements within and across departments/units, committees, and quality improvement initiatives. Supports change initiatives and adapts to unexpected changes. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor¿s degree or higher from an accredited school of nursing
o Master¿s degree preferred
o Five years hospital experience in nursing; for HM internal, four years experience in nursing which includes HM performance that demonstrates progressive leadership abilities, i.e. charge nurse responsibilities
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Nonviolent Crisis Intervention within 90 days, post date of hire/transfer
o American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification within one year of eligibility
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates successful conflict resolution in a timely manner with patients, families, physicians and other healthcare team members
o Demonstrates professionalism and consistently models excellent customer service skills
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands opened on June 26, 2017 as the eighth hospital in the Houston Methodist system. This new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot, full-service, acute care hospital offers many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. Also on the $380 million hospital campus, located at the intersection of I-45 and TX 242, is a medical office building, which opened in March 2016. Medical Office Building 1 includes a breast care center, cancer center & infusion center, orthopedics & sports medicine, rehabilitation services, wellness services, and an outpatient laboratory in addition to multi-specialty physician practices. A second medical office building and 785-car parking garage opened in 2018.
Registered Nurse II (RN) - Endoscopy (Days)
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary03/2020JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position is a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, …
Staff Registered Nurse - OB/Gyn (Medical Center)
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Staff Registered Nurse (RN) position is a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, …
Registered Nurse I (RN) Nurse Residency Summer 2021 Cohort
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: The work week will vary during the residency program. Once on the unit, the work days will vary betwen Monday - …