8100 Greenbriar St
Houston, TX 77054
Category: HIM/Medical Records
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 15, 2022
JOB SUMMARY:This job can work remotely from the following States - GA, WA, FL, TN and TX
At Houston Methodist, the Outpatient Coder is responsible for ensuring diagnostic and procedure codes are assigned accurately to outpatient, emergency room, therapy, and/or clinic encounters based upon documentation within the electronic medical record while maintaining compliance with established rules and regulatory guidelines.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interacts and communicates effectively with members of the coding team and the appropriate stakeholders. (EF)
- Participates and provides good feedback during coding section meetings and coding education inservices as well as takes initiative to assist others and shares knowledge with the appropriate stakeholders. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Responds promptly to internal and external customer requests. Responds promptly and appropriately to requests to code or review coded accounts for accuracy. (EF)
- Initiates queries with physicians to obtain or clarify diagnoses and/or procedures as appropriate, utilizing the established physician query process. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Maintains and achieves departmental standards of coding quality by assigning accurate ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS and CPT codes and APC assignment utilizing an electronic encoder application in accordance with hospital policy and regulatory body guidelines. (EF)
- Maintains and achieves departmental standards of abstracting quality by reviewing the discharge disposition entered by nursing and corrects if necessary in order to achieve the highest quality of entered data. Assigns and enters physician identification number and procedure date correctly in the medical record abstracting system. (EF)
- Reviews medical record documentation and abstracts data into the encoder and Electronic Health Record (EHR) to determine principal or final diagnosis, co-morbid conditions and complications, secondary conditions and procedures. Utilizes all tools/resources for accuracy.(EF)
- Complies with the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official guidelines.
FINANCE - 20%
- Utilizes time effectively. Consistently codes and abstracts at departmental standards of productivity while ensuring accuracy of coding. (EF)
- Supports meeting organizational goal for Accounts Receivables (AR) associated with uncoded accounts. (EF)
- Maintains coding timeframes within established departmental standards by ensuring all work items assigned to the coding queues are processed in a timely manner. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Critically evaluates her or his own performance, accepts constructive criticism, and looks for ways to improve. (EF)
- Displays initiative to improve relative to job function. Contributes ideas to help improve quality of coding data and abstracting data. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Associate's degree in a Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management accredited program required or additional two years of experience (in addition to the minimum experience requirements listed below) required in lieu of degree
- One year of relevant outpatient coding experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Knowledge of coding classification systems, DRG and APC systems, official coding guidelines and coding compliance
- Knowledge of an electronic medical record and imaging systems
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- Proficiency with electronic encoder application
- Extensive PC knowledge - must be able to work effectively in common office software, coding software and abstracting systems
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||Yes|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 25,000 employees. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
In 2019 Houston Methodist and its physicians treated more than 6,333 international patients from more than 76 countries. Houston Methodist Global Health Care Services’ consulting and education divisions also provide advisory services and training and development to health care organizations around the world.