Patient Care Assistant - Emergency Dept - Evening
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Nursing Assistant
- Job Shift:
- 2nd - Evening
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Feb. 12, 2024
At Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) position is responsible for functioning as novice to competent and demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned age-specific, diverse patient population, assisting in the delivery of patient care and services under the supervision of a licensed nurse. This position conducts hourly rounding to ensure patient needs are met and records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The PCA position performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit-specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity and practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist ICARE values.
- Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution.
- Interacts with peers, staff, and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information in a clear and timely manner.
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity, and inclusion principles. Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e., peer-to-peer accountability.
SERVICE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards and provides direct patient care under the direction of a registered nurse. Documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments, and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures and cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Responds to the call light system, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs.
- Assists with maintaining, cleaning, and stocking of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. May serve as an in-house courier which may include retrieving blood, hand delivering labs, tele boxes, etc. Organizes the workflow, problem-solves basic and routine matters, and manages multiple ongoing priorities, seeking guidance and assistance from preceptor, licensed nurse, or management.
- Contributes towards improving department scores for patient satisfaction through peer-to-peer accountability, i.e., bedside shift handoff/report.
QUALITY/SAFETY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind.
- Provides appropriate hand-off at change of shift at patient bedside to communicate and collaborate, promoting patient-centered care.
- Conducts hourly rounding to ensure patient needs are met (four P's). Reports near misses and collaborates with the interprofessional health care team to improve patient safety.
- Contributes towards improving quality and safety scores, through peer-to-peer accountability. Supports initiatives to prevent conditions such as pressure injuries, patient falls, and hospital-acquired infections.
FINANCE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assists with patient and staffing needs (floats) across the service line or hospital as competencies allow. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently.
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime, assisting coworkers as needed.
GROWTH/INNOVATION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Offers innovative solutions in performance improvement projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs on knowledge base, skill level and decision-making, as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Must complete one of the following:
- ◊ PCA externship
- ◊ PCA internal internship
- ◊ Six months of direct patient care experience
- ◊ Enrolled in a school of nursing program with a completed first clinical rotation
- BLS - Basic Life Support (AHA) AND
- CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant - State Licensure -- For Skilled Nursing Facility(SNF)/Rehab departments only
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity
- Uniform No
- Scrubs Yes
- Business professional No
- Other (department approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. DIsaster, Severe Weather Events, etc) regardless of selection below.
- On Call* No
**Travel specifications may vary by department**
- May require travel within the Houston Metropolitan area No
- May require travel outside Houston Metropolitan area No
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …