Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: varied
The PCA is an experienced Nursing Assistant who has demonstrated proficiency and competencies to fully function as a PCA in an acute care hospital setting. Works in partnership with licensed personnel to support the delivery of care in an environment that promotes caring and healing. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned patient populations, under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Participates in shared governance. Practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with The Methodist Hospital System¿s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Note: define for unit assigned
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Performs non-nursing patient care activities of daily living (ADL¿s) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.(EF)
2. Performs and documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures as determined by skills training and validation in accordance with established policies and procedures. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes.(EF)
3. Performs two or more of the following as appropriate for assigned unit/patient population: IV and Foley catheter removal, phlebotomy/lab draws, EKG¿s, wound/care/dressing changes, bladder skills, etc. within the scope of a Nursing Assistant job under the supervision of licensed personnel. (EF)
4. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
5. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence). Demonstrates Relationship-Centered Care standards (smiles and makes eye contact, greets each patient and visitor, seeks out patient and visitor contact, displays appropriate body language, takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for at least one patient or visitor, honors diversity, thanks every customer.(EF)
1. Responds to the Nurse Call System, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs. (EF)
2. Assists with maintaining and cleaning of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. Assists with positioning and transporting of patients. (EF)
1. Must be knowledgeable on where to access information both in the department and within the institution to support the department
2. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communications with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.(EF)
3. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves and manages multiple ongoing priorities, with minimal supervision. Participates as team player.(EF)
4. Provides for the privacy of patients and families and keeping the safety of the patient in mind.(EF)
1. Identifies cost saving or revenue opportunities.(EF)
1. Seek guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel (EF)
2. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School Diploma or GED required;
Completion of PCA II course within 3 months of hire
If certified (CNA or MA), then >24 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience,
If not certified, then minimum 36 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS
Certification as Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant depending on the experience requirements as noted above,
Crisis Prevention Intervention certification within 6 months from hire for Emergency Room and Psych Units only
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Evidence of required competencies for unit assigned
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Computer knowledge and ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Office software
Medical terminology preferred.
Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team.
Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and positive interpersonal skills with all levels of the health care team.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Patient Care Associate II Medical days
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital, Nassau Bay, TX
Work Shift: 7a to 7pWork Week: Rotating schedule to include weekends. 178 beds, 224 physicians and over 800 staff members7 Sports Medicine clinicsJob SummaryFT PCA ...
Patient Care Assistant I - Medical - Renal - Endocrine
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Job SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe PCA I is a PCA with little to no acute care hospital experience who will be engaged in ...
Patient Care Assistant II (nights)
Houston Methodist West Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: 7p-7aWork Week: varies Job SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe PCA II is an experienced Nursing Assistant who has demonstrated proficiency and competencies to fully function as ...