At Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant Novice position is Patient Care Technician (PCT) graduate, or an internal internship, an entry level position in which incumbents should document, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures and demonstrate the ability to continuously progress in basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for age-specific, diverse patient population. This position receives coaching from preceptors, Registered Nurses (RN) and management and performs delegated patient care tasks under the supervision of the RN. The Patient Care Assistant Novice position responds to the call light system and records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions. The Patient Care Assistant Novice position practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist ICARE values: Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and escalates issues for problem resolution. (EF)
- Seeks guidance from interprofessional health care team, when needed, and applies feedback to improve patient outcomes. Follows channels of communication for effective problem solving. (EF)
- Applies expected behaviors and actions with team members which contribute to improvement of department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards and provides direct patient care under the direction of an RN. Responds to the call light system, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs. (EF)
- Assists with maintaining, cleaning, and stocking of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. May serve as an in-house courier which, may include retrieving blood, hand delivering labs, tele boxes, etc. (EF)
- Applies expected behaviors and actions which contributes to department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Provides care to patients assigned within unit-specific, defined limits. Documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures keeping the safety of the patient in mind. Provides care in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse. (EF)
- Applies expected behaviors and actions to improve quality and safety scores on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Manages time effectively and prioritizes daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime, seeking assistance as appropriate. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. (EF)
- Applies expected behaviors and actions which contributes to meeting department financial targets on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) within one month of hire
- Must be a graduate of the Patient Care Tech (PCT) program or internal employee participating in the Houston Methodist PCA internship or Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through an approved credentialing certification agency
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.
- Completes required continuous training and education, including department-specific requirements
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area’s only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 226 operating beds, with 15 operating rooms and more than 1,700 employees. The hospital brings Texas Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.