Houston Methodist West Hospital
18500 Katy Fwy
Houston, TX 77094
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: Sept. 20, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Peace Officer position is responsible for providing police authority by enforcing federal and state laws and city ordinances, as appropriate. This position provides law enforcement services and assists in protecting the rights and property of individuals throughout Houston Methodist. The position must take and maintain control of disruptive individuals for arrest by local law enforcement. The Peace Officer position must be employed by a licensed police agency and possess a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (T.C.O.L.E.) license, that will also serve as evidence of use of force training.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 35 %
- Protects the rights and property of individuals and provides law enforcement services throughout Houston Methodist. (EF)
- Actively responds to requests for personal security coverage, assistance with directions, information and guidance. (EF)
- Interacts with individuals in a supportive and respectful manner creating a positive work environment and contributing to a dynamic, team-focused work unit. (EF)
- Uses excellent, clear and professional communication skills to achieve mutual understanding and problem resolution, while providing the highest quality service during every patient, visitor and staff encounter. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Responds to all radio dispatches, answers calls and complaints and assesses and makes recommendations as needed for all emergent situations. (EF)
- Performs duties in a designated fixed-post assignment. (EF)
- Secures premises and individuals by patrolling facilities, monitoring surveillance cameras, monitoring access points and permitting entry as needed. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25 %
- Accurately communicates and/or generates and completes reports by recording occurences, information, observations, surveillance activities and conducting witness interviews. (EF)
- Maintains a safe environment, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous material, emergency preparedness and HIPAA. (EF)
- Participates in training, drills and actual events according to policies and procedures. (EF)
FINANCE - 10 %
- Prevents loss and damage by reporting irregularities. Facilitates policies regarding restitution, as appropriate. (EF)
- Utilizes and maintains HM and department equipment according to manufacturer specifications. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. Uses resources effectively and efficiently; does not waste supplies, minimizing incidental overtime, optimizing efficiency in all areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
- Assists and promotes a culture of workplace safety and proactively prevents workplace violence. (EF)
- Supports Houston Methodist and department goals and offers innovative solutions through participation in department projects. Assumes responsibility for self-growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Employed by a licensed law enforcement agency
- One (1) year law enforcement experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement license (T.C.O.L.E.)
- Commissioned through law enforcement agency
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Understand HIPAA and Patient confidentiality compliance
- Demonstrates emergency preparedness knowledge
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Webmail.
- Must be able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and function calmly in stressful situations including handling of, or exposure to confidential/sensitive information
- Ability to assess and evaluate information effectively, ability to identify critical issues quickly and accurately, attention to detail and proficiency in documentation
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
|*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.|| |
| || |
|Travel** || |
|May require travel within ||No|| |
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Official law enforcement uniform in coordination with Houston Methodist dress code standards
As an ISO 9001 certified hospital, Houston Methodist West Hospital not only continues Houston Methodist standard of high quality, advanced technology and personalized care, it also continues the culture focused on employees, volunteers and physicians that Houston Methodist has been recognized for. Houston Methodist West Hospital offers competitive benefits, diversity in the workforce, recognition, and a unique environment focused on patient and family centered care with our I CARE values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and excellence at our foundation.