Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: Wednesday - Tuesday
SUMMARY In an outpatient and inpatient setting, performs phlebotomy, and other specialized specimen collection procedures for patients. Proactively and independently handles patient care issues as they arise.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs phlebotomy on in and out patient populations.
2. Correctly identifies patient and labels specimen correctly 100% of the time using 2 patient identifiers.
3. Performs other specialized specimen collection as needed.
4. Accurately processes, organizes, orders, labels and transports specimens for laboratory testing.
5. Uses computer systems, and is proficient to register patients, order tests, reprint charts and other miscellaneous client service functions.
6. Keeps out patient specimen collecting area clean and well stocked.
7. Demonstrates ICARE Values and complies with Business Practices standards for performance.
8. Demonstrates ServicePride standards.
9. Follows all safety rules on the job. Reports accidents promptly, & corrects minor safety hazards. 10. Performs other work as assigned
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Course in Phlebotomy / venipuncture preferred.
Previous phlebotomy experience required. Neonatal Phlebotomy experience a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Excellent communication skills required.
2. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required to handle a heavy workload and maintain accuracy.
3. Knowledge computer use to order tests needed. Advanced computer skills a plus.
4. Consistently follows established procedures as set forth by Medicare and other regulatory agencies.
5. Courteous, friendly and helpful manner required.
6. Phlebotomist is expected to take responsibilities on departmental / facility committees, and participate in hospital sponsored community events.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Medical Technologist - Core Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: VariesJob SummaryPerforms complex analyses which necessitates a knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESProcesses specimens to ...
Medical Lab Scientist (Evenings)
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: VariesHouston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, and ncludes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which ...
Medical Lab Scientist
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: M - FJob Summary08/2017JOB SUMMARYThe Medical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for performing both routine and complex analyses, which necessitates knowledge of ...