At Houston Methodist, the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is a member of the direct patient care team who provides patient treatments under the direction of a Licensed Physical Therapist. Performs routine physical therapy treatments and procedures from basic to moderate complexity as established by the plan of care. Performs related patient care support activities. Works with team members in monitoring and adjusting activities to ensure optimum patient throughput and patient experience. Guides and mentors other PTA's, Technicians, and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. Teaches, orients and precepts other PTAs and Technicians. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to safety standards and guidelines to ensure optimal patient safety, customer service, and optimum patient outcomes.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Guides and mentors other Physical Therapist Assistants, Technicians, and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. Teaches, orients and precepts new Physical Therapists and Technicians. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Obtains applicable and relevant information prior to patient's treatment sessions. Provides education of plan of care to patients, family members, or caregivers (EF).
- Implements treatment programs as established by the supervising Physical Therapist. Communicates and records patient's response to treatment plan. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various physical therapy concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. (EF)
- Monitors and adjusts activities and assignments of assigned team members to ensure optimum patient throughput and experience. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Monitors patient's progress and modifies treatment as allowed by the plan of care, recognizing complications/limitations associated with certain procedures. Collaborates and communicates with supervising therapist and other health care staff modifications to patient's treatment process, progress, and discharge planning. (EF)
- Ensures all rehabilitation equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Collects and reviews quality metrics and analytics. Identifies and recommends process improvement opportunities within the department. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Schedules patients efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. (EF)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters charges for services provided as applicable. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks to meet the labor productivity standards. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Participates and contributes on various department projects and activities to include shared governance, staff development and expansion of services.
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Physical Therapist Assistant and of leadership skills.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- 2 years of experience as a Physical Therapist Assistant preferred; may consider new graduate or entry level Physical Therapist Assistant
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Physical Therapist Assistant License by the Texas State Board of Physical Therapy; or eligible for temporary Physical Therapist Assistant License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
- American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.