Physical Therapist Clinical Fellow - Full Time - Days
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Physical Therapy
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 22, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Physical Therapy (PT) Clinical Fellow position, completes planned program of post-professional clinical and didactic education provided for rehabilitation services modality that is designed to complete the guidelines as set by the Physical Therapy Board of Examiners Association. This position focuses in preparation as a provider of safe, expert patient care services through the fellowship program which combines opportunities for necessary clinical supervision and mentoring with a theoretical basis for advanced practice and scientific inquiry. The PT Clinical Fellow position performs patient management services including evaluation, treatment, referral, supervises support personnel (as applicable), and performs related duties such as participation in rounds, clinics, departmental performance improvement, and clinical education in accordance with regulatory agency/professional association guidelines, state practice act, applicable regulations, and departmental policy, procedures and practices. This position demonstrates competence to adapt to work and customer service to accommodate the unique physical, psychosocial, cultural, safety and other developmental needs of patients served by the department.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team-focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Cooperates and collaborates with members of the interprofessional healthcare treatment team regarding patient’s current treatment, progress and discharge planning. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Evaluates patient’s level of function; develops and implements plan of treatment. Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team any modifications to patient’s treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning for achievement of identified patient specific goals, following evidence based guidelines. (EF)
- Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of assigned patients to identify patient’s level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings, implementing the physical therapy treatment plan. (EF)
- Provides education, which includes active listening and teaching, to patients, family members, and/or caregivers. Consistently evaluates the patient’s comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. Serves as resource to clinical residents and nursing in teaching best practices. (EF)
- Contributes to meeting/exceeding department and organization targets for patient satisfaction. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Oversees appropriate patient care duties and those treatments delegated to assistants and technicians in accordance with the state practice act and department and hospital policies. (EF)
- Monitors patient progress; maintain timely and accurate patient records. (EF)
- Completes all patient documentation and enters charges for services provided. (EF)
- Identifies and escalates issues and opportunities for improvement. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. Contributes towards improving department/practice quality and safety scores. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- With guidance, uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and clinical fellowship assignments.(EF)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient education and procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters accurate charges for services provided, as applicable. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Participates in individual and staff development and expansion of services, including research projects. Presents relevant special topics in professional literature at clinic meetings, rounds, conference, and meetings as delegated or requested by the faculty. Completes, as appropriate, presentations and case reports to complete Fellowship curriculum. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual process improvements. Remains current on professional issues and clinical skills by attendance of appropriate CEUs and involvement with professional organization. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
o One year physical therapy experience with one of the following:
o Completion of HM or comparable Physical Therapy Residency program
o With board specialty Certification in applicable content area
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Licensure with the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners or Compact Privileges granted by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners and permanent Texas PT licensure within 30 days of hire
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills
o Ability to work as a team member
o Demonstrates good time management skills
o Possesses competent computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
o Demonstrates professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization of treatment plans
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …