Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Physical Therapy
Job Type: Part-Time
Posted Date: Sept. 24, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Physical Therapist I (PT I) is responsible for assessing patients and developing the therapy plan of care. Provides education to patients, patient's family members, and/or caregivers and collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. As a member of the patient care team provides direct patient care. Has responsibility to deliver exceptional patient care with adherence to safety standards and guidelines to ensure optimal patient safety, customer service, and optimum patient outcomes. May serve as a mentor and resource to less experienced staff to include clinical observers, other disciplines (nursing/SPL), some entry level students.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Serves as resource to co-workers and may assist in teaching and providing guidance to students and support staff, participating in the orientation of new team members, and serving as Clinical Instructor.
SERVICE - 20 %
- Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of patients to identify patient's level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings and implements the physical therapy treatment plan. (EF)
- Provides education to patients, patient's family members, and/or caregivers. Serves as resource to clinical fellows and nursing in teaching best practices. (EF)
- Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team modifications to patient's treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning for achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Assesses patients regularly, monitors progress towards treatment goals, modifies goals, and plan or program as indicated. Recognizes complications/limitations associated with certain procedures and proactively addresses such for optimum outcomes. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities and provides recommendations for corrective action and process improvement. Contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
- Provides oversight of physical therapy related activities completed by caregivers or nursing, and if necessary adjust the plan to improve quality of outcome and maintain the safety of the patient. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established patient load assignments. (EF)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient education procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters accurate charges for services provided as applicable. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Actively participates in departmental projects and hospital committees. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Physical Therapist I.
- Assists higher level PTs with program development and/or clinical competencies.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- No experience required; experience highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas Physical Therapy License or a temporary Texas Physical Therapy License.Has Compact Privileges granted by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners.
- American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
- Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization of treatment plans.
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.