Program Coordinator - Health Education and Learning (HEAL)
The Woodlands, TX 77385
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 13, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Program Coordinator position is responsible for the planning and coordination of quality initiatives to improve outcomes and achieve business objectives for the assigned clinical program(s). This position oversees the development and implementation of all assigned quality programs, including the introduction of new initiatives, programs, procedures, and external reporting requirements. Other duties for the Program Coordinator position include providing education and assisting program leadership in developing strategies to respond to quality program requirements and opportunities for improvement supported by external benchmarking. This position interacts with all levels of the organization, from front-line staff to senior management, and collaborates with system hospitals for the sharing of best practices, reporting methodologies, and identification of potential duplication of effort.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Supports management to plan program initiatives to ensure that the goals of the program are met. Promotes program compliance with stakeholders, management, and the medical staff, as appropriate. (EF)
- Collaborates with management to develop and implement communication strategies throughout the organization/system to ensure accurate information regarding clinical and quality program purpose, initiatives, improvement strategies, and outcomes. Obtains buy-in to change efforts. (EF)
- In collaboration with management, recommends opportunities for improvement of department/program score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Develops analysis and reporting, as necessary, to leadership and other key stakeholders on the progress of the program. Creates materials, presentations, and reports program status for senior leadership, directors and managers, and front-line staff. (EF)
- Provides consultative services, as needed, to program to successful outcomes. Follows up on action items necessary to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
- Implements change management strategies to ensure successful execution of the program and to improve targeted outcomes. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Contributes to the development of the program standards and guidelines; implements and monitors program initiatives that improve designated compliance. Ensures appropriate data is collected and submitted to appropriate databases for program supported. (EF)
- Supports leaders to drive improvements in program outcomes by coordinating the day-to-day quality efforts of the program in collaboration with patient safety, quality, and other relevant partners. (EF)
- Supports program strategic direction and uses appropriate and evolving methodologies to drive quality program initiatives. Utilizes outstanding relationship skills to partner with key stakeholders to promote program success. (EF)
- Identifies key measures to periodically assess outcomes and metrics and continuously enhances and improves training to drive improved outcomes for the patient and/or employee experience. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Coordinates the financial initiatives of the program within documented timeframes and is aligned with the budget. Effectively coordinate the scope, schedule, and budget of all assigned projects while in the process; monitors year-to-year trends. Monitors the success of the program, engagement strategies, and budget, identifying cost-saving and waste-elimination opportunities. Forecasts potential schedule delays and develops alternate plans. (EF)
- Participates in decisions impacting operational and capital needs as appropriate. Provides timely submission of invoices; tracks and adheres to budgetary objectives for assigned projects.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Coordinates the introduction, development, and implementation of all new aspects of the program in consideration of the physical environment, staff competencies, quality outcomes, efficiencies, best practices, and cost. Supports the research and education missions of the program. (EF)
- Assists the development of outreach and communications strategies and plans, including assessing needs and opportunities relating to all external outreach, marketing, and communications within the scope of the role. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-developmental needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an ongoing basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree or higher in business, healthcare administration, clinical or related field
o Two years experience related to business or healthcare administration to include experience executing strategic programs to drive business success
o Experience in Wellness, Health Promotion, or Exercise Science highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Registered and/or certified professional in area of expertise preferred when appropriate
o Certified Health Education Specialist (Preferred)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through ongoing skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially concerning activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members, and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Ability to collaborate and work successfully with all levels of the organization to gain buy- in and support for program success
o Competent skills in change management, planning, execution, and business acumen
o Ability to execute successful program management and outcomes; understands when to escalate issues
o Highly organized with demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
o Ability to analyze and solve problems and make decisions on program-related issues
o Strong research interpretation skills
o Time management and prioritization skills
o Proficiency in relevant software programs such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital is committed to leading medicine in Montgomery County and the north Houston region by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, service and innovation. The growing campus offers 293 beds and access to the most innovative care. In January 2022, the hospital opened Healing Tower – a $250-million expansion project that added 106 beds, focused on medical/surgical and women’s services and nine operating rooms. It also included the expansion of the endoscopy center, emergency department and diagnostic imaging department.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands is recognized as a comprehensive stroke center, an orthopedic center of excellence by DNV, designated as a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, and has achieved Magnet Designation for nursing excellence from the ANCC. Houston Methodist The Woodlands is also ranked No. 1 nationally out of 148 members in the Complex Care Medical Centers cohort to be recognized for demonstrating excellence in delivering high-quality care based on the 2022 Vizient Quality and Accountability Ranking.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is currently seeking a full-time Structural Cardiologist to join our well established, thriving and dynamic team. Houston Methodist The Woodlands campus is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of a growing community. The successful candidate must be committed to providing unparalleled patient care with expertise …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Director Community Benefits position is responsible for supporting hospital system maintenance of nonprofit status within federal and state regulations of charity care laws and designing and managing programs designed to enhance the institution’s reputation as a socially responsible corporate citizen within the health care industry. …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services (EVS) Representative position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. This position performs a variety of general cleaning tasks in assigned areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff in accordance with department standards.