Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Physical Therapy
Job Type: Part-Time
Posted Date: Jan. 14, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Physical/Occupational Therapist Technician (PT/OT Tech) is responsible for assisting PT/OT staff and members of the direct patient team with treatment procedures as assigned under the direct supervision of a licensed staff either in an outpatient or inpatient setting. Performs delegated activities that include but are not limited to: patient mobility, assist patient in practicing exercises or functional activities, transport patients to and from treatment areas, equipment inspection and maintenance, supply procurement and stocking, infection control processes, and variety of basic office functions. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to rehabilitation standards and guidelines established by the department to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. The PT/OT Technician is a member of the direct patient care team.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Serves as resource to co-workers, may teach and provide guidance to other technicians. May participate in the orientation of new team members. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Under supervision, assists with delegated treatment plan activities that include but are not limited to: patient mobility, assist patient in practicing exercises or functional activities, transport patients to and from treatment areas, equipment inspection and maintenance, infection control processes, supply procurement, and variety of basic office functions. Assists and provides information related to re-enforcing safety awareness and home exercise program for patients. (EF)
- Prepares work areas and equipment such as but not limited to: cleaning/disinfecting, gathering equipment, materials, and supplies to the appropriate work areas. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team patient's response to delegated activities. Gathers patient information prior to assign patient's treatment session. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established daily responsibilities and assignments. (EF)
- Assists on gathering data for quality improvement projects, daily charge reconciliation for productivity and inventory of supplies in the department. May if requested, maintain accurate and complete documentation of patient care procedures performed. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Participates in departmental projects and hospital committees. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a PT/OT Technician.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Experience not required; experience in a healthcare setting highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
- Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the following of treatment plans.
|Other (dept approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.