Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital
18300 St John Dr
Nassau Bay, TX 77058
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- RN - Med/Surg
- Job Shift:
- 3rd - Night
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 9, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse I (RN) position is a licensed staff nurse, may be an entry level nurse, who demonstrates the ability to continuously progress in skill to care for increasingly complex patients, receiving coaching from experienced RNs and management and benefits from their practice. The position functions at the Novice to Advanced Beginner stage according to Benner's model of clinical practice, participating in unit initiatives and shared governance. The RN I position provides professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment, patient education, and maintenance of medical records. This position collaborates with the physicians and interprofessional health care team to facilitate, coordinate and maintain compassionate, efficient, quality care and achievement of desired treatment outcomes. The RN I position demonstrates clinical competency when providing care, using technology, administering medications, performing procedures and managing emergencies, acting as a patient and family advocate in order to monitor patient rights and needs. This position assures continuity of care through appropriate communication, discharge planning, patient education and coordination of services.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Establishes a relationship with patients, families and the interprofessional health care team to collaborate on the plan of care by using progressive skills in therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching. (EF)
- Contributes to teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Seeks guidance from interprofessional health care team, when needed, and applies feedback to improve patient outcomes. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee engagement on unit-based scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment and documentation/maintenance of medical records. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Develops, updates and communicates plan of care, including discharge, in partnership with the patient, family and interprofessional health care team, using the nursing process. Prioritizes care based on the patient's needs, abilities and preferences. Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns, utilizing appropriate resources. (EF)
- Provides patient education based on learning needs, uses appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. Consistently evaluates the patient's comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability to contribute towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Follows the standards of care related to the nursing process, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. (EF)
- Follows the standards related to regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. (EF)
- Provides and modifies care for increasingly complex patients and coordinates care with the interprofessional teams. Plans for routine events and progressively manages emergent situations in collaboration with the healthcare team. (EF)
- Contributes towards improving quality and safety targets on unit-based scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability, focusing on the task at hand and reporting near misses. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Displays self motivation to independently manage time effectively, timely documentation of care, minimize incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Uses resources effectively and efficiently. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting department financial targets on unit-based scorecard through decreasing length of stay, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Participates in unit evidence-based practice projects focused on innovation, efficiency or improvement in patient care and shared governance activities. Embraces and enacts new care pathways or service line implementation to improve service to the community. (EF)
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Pursues educational opportunities for professional growth and benefits the department through knowledge dissemination. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited School of Nursing
- Zero years of experience with minimal clinical nursing experience
- If less than six months of clinical nursing experience, must complete Houston Methodist nurse residency program
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Other credentials and certifications as defined by unit/service line
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Progression towards competent assessment, organizational and problem solving skills as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
- Progression towards demonstrating time management skills
- Ability to progress towards independence and exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional healthcare team and patients and their families
- Progression towards critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work as defined by the Nurse Practice Act
- Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide
- Working knowledge of Microsoft products including Outlook
|Business professional ||No|
|Other (dept. approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital is committed to leading medicine in Clear Lake and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. Houston Methodist Clear Lake houses 149 operating beds, with 12 operating rooms and more than 1,100 employees.